AJS M4 magneto

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Pmorris

AJS M4 magneto

Post by Pmorris »

Hi I'm struggling to remove Magneto drive sprocket , there's an internal thread in the nut which looks like 7/16 bsf ? But I don't have a bolt , does anyone know how to remove it , is it left hand thread?, I can get a special bolt made if I know what to get . Many Thanks Phil
Philip Morris
dave16mct

Re: AJS M4 magneto

Post by dave16mct »

Won't you have to remove the nut, then get a 2 leg puller to remove the mag sprocket? The internal thread of the nut won't help you pull the sprocket off, it would have to be in the sprocket (like a twin).
Dave.
Pmorris

Post by Pmorris »

Hi Dave , I'm struggling to remove the nut , everything is turning - sprocket as well , not sure if something is amiss here, someone has had a go in the past . If I can remove the nut I have a puller to remove the sprocket. Cheers Phil
Philip Morris
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Can you make a holding tool from a mag chain to stop it turning while you undo the nut?
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you check the illustrations in the archived parts list you could confirm how the sprocket is attached - if your dynamo is similar to this one it looks like it may be pegged to a tapered top hat sleeve and secured with a washer and sleeve nut:
Mag Sprocket.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pmorris

Post by Pmorris »

Thanks for the info everyone, most helpful , I managed to remove the nut (sleeve) by locking up the wheel which turns the Dynamo . The drive sprocket was found to have the woodruff key missing - hence all turning ! Sending it off now to have it checked out and hopefully not too much wrong with it . Could do with alloy end plate if anyone has a spare ?( Wishful thinking ) as the one fitted has been cut in half at sometime ! Cheers Phil.
Philip Morris
Pmorris

Post by Pmorris »

Does anyone know what magneto is fitted to this bike and or any info regarding servicing the magneto ?
Philip Morris