Piston Height

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: Piston Height

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm, since the difference in height is about 3/16" it's obviously not a few thou of carbon build-up so I'd take the heads off to check.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

3/16 is approx the difference between 8.5:1 and 10.25:1 so it's all pointing towards mismatched pistons. Head off is the only way forward I guess.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

If you have never taken a head off a bike the job sounds a big one. In reality, its staightforward and may only need either new head gaskets or what you have annealing. Its an ideal lockdown job
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Just what I was thinking, get em off!!
Dave
MacL

Post by MacL »

Hello everyone hope all are keeping well. A bit of lateral thinking before taking heads off to confirm suspicions - if LH piston is higher the compression will be higher. So "e" mailed my next door nieghbour { remember we are social distancing} fellow "jampotter"club member Chris Winiecki . "Have you got a cylinder compression tester?" Next day a test kit appeared on the seat of my G12 -- he keeps his Honda in my garage. Soon fitted and machine kicked over. The gauge registered 27Psi for RH piston [the low one] and 48Psi for the LH. SOooo Doubts confirmed. Will be interesting when heads come off. Not just yet though. Will let you know. Mike.
MacL

Post by MacL »

I think I might have been headed for membership of Les Ward's Piston Destruction Club or my third
broken crank.