Removing the magneto

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Gstovold

Removing the magneto

Post by Gstovold »

This must be easier than it seems because I can't find any previous topics on this. I need to remove my magneto. Two top nuts easy peasy but how on earth do I get anything on that bottom bolt? Is there a special tool?

Geoff
Geoff Stovold

AJS Model 20
Norton International
Velocette LE
Sunbeam S8
Royal Enfield Himalayan
bitza

Re: Removing the magneto

Post by bitza »

you need a longish narrow spanner to reach from under the bike ,or grind a bit of the jaws, it's a fiddle , remove timing cover and use pinion extractor to take of mag gear, a socket to turn the bolt , refit is reverse procedure but I cut a screwdriver slot in the bolt head made the job easier, to nip up the bolt first,, others may have better ideas. when refitting use a bit of gaffer tape to hold the nut in spanner jaws.
Gstovold

Post by Gstovold »

Thanks Bitza for your quick reply. Having posted my problem I went into the garage again and pondered the problem. I then realised that if I removed the magneto driving cog the head of the lower bolt was perfectly accessible and visible. Durrrrr! Having realised that, the magneto was off in a couple of minutes. The thing is I had a G9 about 20 years ago and have no memory of the magneto being difficult to remove, so I was really mystified as to why it seemed so tricky. The brain is definitely on the way out! And guess what in the darker recesses of the garage I still had the puller for getting the cog off!

Geoff
Geoff Stovold

AJS Model 20
Norton International
Velocette LE
Sunbeam S8
Royal Enfield Himalayan
bitza

Post by bitza »

Prior to refitting mag fit the bolt and nut in the lower mounting hole, you can then find a slim ring combination spanner and see how much to grind of the ring, when you refit mag retain the nut in spanner with a bit of gaffer tape,start the bolt with your fingers, nip up with a socket. Don' t forget the washers.