Toolbox lid

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Toolbox lid

Post by Martin.S »

Toolbox.jpg
This is the only picture I can seem to find of the inner toolbox lid fastener and its not too clear.
Other than the obvious chrome screws there are other bits in the spares catalogue -
Split pin(013936)
Nut (1/4 bscy half nut) (000005) - 2off
Springe washer (000189)
Rubber buffer (042455)
So I presume the spring washer goes over the chrome screw 1st, then this goes through the lid with the two lock nuts on the other side adjusted to space out the lid from its bracket - what's the split pin for?
And this bracket - is it separate or bolted in as I haven't got one!
Finally the rubber buffer goes on the mudguard - I have alloy guards - where abouts does this buffer go and what does it look like?
Thanks
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: Toolbox lid

Post by Mick D »

Hmm - just a thought

Screw / cover / spring washer / nut / lock nut / split pin.

Nuts set the tension on the spring washer - split pin determines the screw engagement?

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Does the split pin stop it all coming undone to stop you loosing all the bits, plus your tools. The screw only secures the lid pinch tight hence the spring, rubber.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Surely the purpose of 2 lock nuts is that they don't come undone!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Martin.S wrote:Surely the purpose of 2 lock nuts is that they don't come undone!
My faulty memory Martin, so what job does the pin do? Same set up on other model tool boxes. Will have to look.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Have you had a look yet Rob?
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

I've just lost the toolbox screw, when out on a run, and was going to pinch the equivalent screw from my twin. It has the full set, including split pin, and that appears to hold it altogether. I ordered a new screw fro my Model 8 from the club and it doesn't have the hole for a split pin so will, no doubt, drop out and get lost as the previous one did!

This is not a complaint but I assume that the factory realised this would be a problem and, as Mick says, designed the fixing to include two nuts to lock the adjusting and a split pin to hold it all in place.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Ah - So what is the order of assembly? - Screw, Toolbox lid, split pin and then two lock nuts adjusted to hold the lid out in the correct position?

PS - Could you tell me the diameter of the head on these screws - I wonder if mine are too big.

Cheers
Martin
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Martin.S wrote:PS - Could you tell me the diameter of the head on these screws - I wonder if mine are too big.
Martin
Sorry to take so long to reply, I kept forgetting to check for you!

The one I have on my twin, which may be original, and the new one I have just bought from the club for my Model 8 are 22mm across the head.

I don't have any of the other parts for my lightweight as I assumed it was just the screw but, having now looked at the arrangement on my twin, I may try to do the same on my lightweight. It would save losing another screw!
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Thanks for that Mark.