Today my mate popped round to tell me

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Today my mate popped round to tell me

Post by Plugsnpoints »

He's been looking at buying a new H*nda 1000. He took one out for a test ride just before Christmas and is still thinking about what deal he can get.

It occurred to me that he doesn't know what he'd be missing...

I have a 60 odd year old motorbike (designed over 80 years ago) in bits. When I does eventually return to the road it'll have a fraction of the performance, braking, lights of the H*nda and will require constant maintenance.

The H*nda on the other hand will just go at the press of the button, has a computer (PlayStation?) and won't require getting his hands dirty unless he washes it.

We're all mad I tell you, we're all mad.... :rofl:
pkr87

Re: Today my mate popped round to tell me

Post by pkr87 »

I weakened and bought an old 250 Honda which has lights, brakes, mirrors, indicators and an electric starter.I have to admit that I do feel a bit safer in today's crazy traffic but it is nowhere near as interesting or as much fun to ride as my Ajay.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Plugsnpoints wrote:

We're all mad I tell you, we're all mad.... :rofl:

The only sensible way to live
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

pkr87 wrote:I weakened and bought an old 250 Honda ........ but it is nowhere near as interesting or as much fun to ride as my Ajay.
Have to agree with you Paul, since out of necessity I rode an adapted Honda 125 (the 'Grudge Special') to Spain which was just tedious, as the buzzing engine (8,200 rpm @ 60mph) and a million gear changes made the riding unsatisfying and utterly boring.

This was my first attempt at riding for two years after being smashed up but I couldn't fathom out how to get on the bloomin' thing with an unusable right arm and Meccano right leg. (I couldn't put my proper riding boots on one-handed). My son rode it up to a closed road for the trial ride.
2016-05-21 Mutchless(480x360).jpg
Easy....ish!
Hi-ho Silver! (640x480).jpg
My modern bike with all the gizmos (the 250 'Mutchless') has a bit more grunt but nothing like an old plonker.
I used to reckon that if it wasn't for traffic lights and roundabouts I could ride my G3LS all the way to the South France in top gear. Well almost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Have you modified the throttle and front brake on the Honda Spridds? Any chance of a close up of them?

Cheers, Chris :ugeek:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This is the dual brake (short top one) and clutch lever unit. No other brake mod.
K lever (480x360).jpg
It's too stormy to venture down the shed to take a photo but on the standard twistgrip I have fitted a commercial 'Wrist saver' with the 'spade' bit vertical. My inoperative hand defaults to the grip position so I fold it over the wrist saver and work the throttle by shrugging my right shoulder. Making a right turn at a T junction I have to pull my shoulder back almost 90 deg to keep the throttle open. I originally Velcro'd my glove to it since if it fell off the throttle I would have had to stop to put it back as obviously I can't take my left hand off the 'bars at all to do it whilst going along. In practice I found that the Velcro wasn't necessary.
Wrist saver 2.jpg
-------------------------

It's quiet on here so indulge me............

Before trying out a proper bike I first had a go on a moped, an automatic clutch Honda Cub. First time out I got to the T junction at the end of my road, looked left, twisted my shoulders to look right.............the throttle opened wide and I shot straight across the road and up the drive of the house opposite.
Next time I joined a section run to meet up with a VMCC run at a pub........
Honda Apl 6th 2012 (640x427).jpg
Upon arriving I got some snooty looks from the VMCC crowd so decided to show 'em when I left.
Ahem, I gave it full squirt though the car park and changing to 2nd I reverted to Matchless mode so my left 'clutch' hand (it doesn't have a clutch lever!) snatched the front brake hard on. I simultaneously stamped on the 'gear lever' on the right (which is actually on the LEFT) putting the rear brake full on. Fortunately I found I was uninjured when my chums picked out me and the Cub from the landlord's daffodils.

My next trip was 60 miles with a weekend's camping gear to the IJR at Maidstone. I fell over at the rally check-in whilst stationary, bending the rod in my right arm and exposing the steel plate in my wrist. I was ambulanced to hospital, but that's another saga.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
spookefoote1956

I remember seeing the mods to the Mutchless now.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
pkr87 wrote:I weakened and bought an old 250 Honda ........ but it is nowhere near as interesting or as much fun to ride as my Ajay.
Have to agree with you Paul, since out of necessity I rode an adapted Honda 125 (the 'Grudge Special') to Spain which was just tedious, as the buzzing engine (8,200 rpm @ 60mph) and a million gear changes made the riding unsatisfying and utterly boring.

This was my first attempt at riding for two years after being smashed up but I couldn't fathom out how to get on the bloomin' thing with an unusable right arm and Meccano right leg. (I couldn't put my proper riding boots on one-handed). My son rode it up to a closed road for the trial ride.
Easy....ish!
Hi-ho Silver! (640x480).jpg
My modern bike with all the gizmos (the 250 'Mutchless') has a bit more grunt but nothing like an old plonker.
I used to reckon that if it wasn't for traffic lights and roundabouts I could ride my G3LS all the way to the South France in top gear. Well almost.
I have followed and admired your efforts with the Grudge Special. I might take a trip to Calais or Boulogne on my Honda but I think all the way to Spain have me turning to drink
spookefoote1956

Love the British Standard Safety Ciggy Spridds. Provides a visual warning to other road users. I remember when I smoked and the ciggy tip blew off at great speed and ended up inside my lid keeping my ear warm. Happy days! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

spookefoote1956 wrote: I remember when I smoked and the ciggy tip blew off at great speed and ended up inside my lid keeping my ear warm. Happy days! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Happened back in my acne days on my Lambretta when wearing a loose Parka jacket - the hot tip went straight up my sleeve.
I suffer the occassional bee or fly in my helmet but can't open the visor to release it these days without stopping.
I 'invented' a weatherproof fag holder when I used to race offshore. I still carry one in my top box to use during comfort stops in heavy rain.
2019-08-14 Fag holder 002 (640x480).jpg