Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
asterysk_usa

Re: Spoke Nipple failure

Post by asterysk_usa »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I bought my spoke spanner from DRC.

Regards Mick
I found DRC and the spanners look very impressive :

I had been looking for a whitworth old style spoke spanner but looking ta the DRC product made me realise I probably have metric nipples seeing as I bought them in 2013 , thankyou for the steer to DRC
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Are your spokes long enough? Did they go all the way through the nipple? I just wonder if the nipple is breaking at the point the spokes end which happens to be on the inside of the rim?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

This is my spoke spanner:

https://www.devonrimcompany.com/sundrie ... ke-spanner

Post a link to those sexy coloured ones would you please?

Regards Mick
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Post a link to those sexy coloured ones would you please?

Regards Mick
http://www.drcproducts.com/tool/d59-15/index.html

1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

John Jarrett wrote:Are your spokes long enough? Did they go all the way through the nipple? I just wonder if the nipple is breaking at the point the spokes end which happens to be on the inside of the rim?
I was wondering the same thing, the break point is pretty much exactly where the spoke ends inside the nipple, I was expecting the spoke to come all the way through the nipple but it doesn't. I'll contact Devon Rim again and ask
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

I'm thinking the spoke should screw further into the nipple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by asterysk_usa on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I have never had spokes that short from Devon Rim company. Certainly a reason for failure, but i stand by my original worry about alignment, and this may give rise to the spokes not reaching far enough into the nipple
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

alanengineer wrote:I have never had spokes that short from Devon Rim company. Certainly a reason for failure, but i stand by my original worry about alignment, and this may give rise to the spokes not reaching far enough into the nipple
Is there any way I can check by doing some measurements , I have absolutely no knowledge of spoke wheels, its all a black art to me !
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The original spokes I removed from my 61 G3 with 19" rims and FW hubs measure 6 - 15/16" rear and 5 - 7/8" front.

I maintain that it is highly unlikely that the spoke orientation out of the hub will be incorrect - what could be wrong is the alignment of the spoke to a correctly pierced hole in the rim. If you imagine the top of the wheel on the bike, the rim piercings are orientated to accept the spokes from the front or rear and left or right side of the hub - front and rear are easily determined and not likely to be wrong, left and right are not so obvious this may be wrong and could contribute to your issue.
Spoke Direction.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

The original spokes I removed from my 61 G3 with 19" rims and FW hubs measure 6 - 15/16" rear and 5 - 7/8" front.

I maintain that it is highly unlikely that the spoke orientation out of the hub will be incorrect - what could be wrong is the alignment of the spoke to a correctly pierced hole in the rim. If you imagine the top of the wheel on the bike, the rim piercings are orientated to accept the spokes from the front or rear and left or right side of the hub - front and rear are easily determined and not likely to be wrong, left and right are not so obvious this may be wrong and could contribute to your issue.
Spoke Direction.png
Regards Mick
How do you measure the spokes, from tip of dome head or shank under head ?

From top of dome I get 5-5/8" & 6-7/8" (I place ruler and spokes vertically on a table )