Black coating for barrel ?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
asterysk_usa

Black coating for barrel ?

Post by asterysk_usa »

I have just got my barrel back from the soda blasting.

Most of the photos I have seen show this in black , was wondering what the options are for the coating ?

Also I noticed that the cylinder head was left uncoated, does this mean I could leave the barrel as is (i.e. same as cylinder head)?

On an aside, I washed it in degreaser after the soda blasting and within 5 mins whilst drying it flash rusted so I'm thinking a coating might be aesthetically better and possibly why they did it at the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
Mick D

Re: Black coating for barrel ?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I used high temperature matt black engine aerosol spray paint, for best effect it needed to be baked on - did this in the oven when my wife was out ;)
Barrel.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taid

Post by Taid »

asterysk_usa wrote:

Most of the photos I have seen show this in black , was wondering what the options are for the coating ?

Also I noticed that the cylinder head was left uncoated, does this mean I could leave the barrel as is (i.e. same as cylinder head)?

On an aside, I washed it in degreaser after the soda blasting and within 5 mins whilst drying it flash rusted so I'm thinking a coating might be aesthetically better and possibly why they did it at the factory

I don't know how correct this is but I was told (by a grit blaster) that soda-bicarb is basically a salt, and that residue from soda blasting, particularly any left in inaccessible places, will cause rust. Probably not too relevant in this case, I know.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Taid wrote:
asterysk_usa wrote:

I don't know how correct this is but I was told (by a grit blaster) that soda-bicarb is basically a salt, and that residue from soda blasting, particularly any left in inaccessible places, will cause rust. Probably not too relevant in this case, I know.
Aha, that explains a lot ! I did move the parts quickly into a degreaser but probably not fast enough !! Now I'm busy with Balistol which has a wonderful smell
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I used high temperature matt black engine aerosol spray paint, for best effect it needed to be baked on - did this in the oven when my wife was out ;)
Barrel.png
Regards Mick
What did the roast beef taste like at the next Sunday dinner !!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote:...... it needed to be baked on - did this in the oven when my wife was out ;)
asterysk_usa wrote: What did the roast beef taste like at the next Sunday dinner !!
You don't get roast beef in shelters for the homeless.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

SPRIDDLER wrote:You don't get roast beef in shelters for the homeless.
:rofl:

I got away with it :D

The product I used drys at normal temperature. The can said it was best if it was baked as soon as possible by running the engine, but as the bike wouldn't be running for a few months I elected to bake it in the oven - there was very little smell and hence my next roast and my marriage survived.

Regards Mick - Living on the edge, (sometimes) ;)
clive

Post by clive »

"Also I noticed that the cylinder head was left uncoated, does this mean I could leave the barrel as is (i.e. same as cylinder head)?"
No the barrel is iron, the head is aluminium. Before you paint the barrel you are going to need to decide if you are using the SR1 mag. If so you will need to make the cutout that is missing from your barrel. A 1954 500 would have been supplied with the SR1. The likely reason you have the earlier barrel is because it was available when the other one was damaged or worn. Our bikes have gone from new to knackered old workhorses to classics. All hell can happen in between when it comes to originality.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

My paint shop was asking me if its okay for the barrel to be cooked at 160 C because thats what their oven does the powder coat at. They would use a special engine paint though not powder coat.

This seems like an okay temp for cast iron but thought I better check with the experts here first
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I 'cooked' mine at 180 degrees for about an hour, not sure what gas mark that is ;) - no ill effects.

I left the barrel in the oven with the door closed until it had cooled down - didn't want to shock it by taking it out at 180.

Regards Mick