Headlamp mounting...?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Headlamp mounting...?

Post by Pharisee »

The mounting holes in my '55 M18S headlamp shell are 7/16" diameter. The holes in the mounting arms are 1/2" diameter.
First question... it's the correct headlamp (with speedo mounted in it) so have I got an incorrect set of top fork shrouds?
Second question... the parts list mentions spacers (014340) between the headlamp and mounting arms but these aren't listed on the AMOC Spares website, nor could I find them in any of the AMC Classic Spares lists. Can anyone tell me what these spacers look like... possibly with dimensions? Do they reduce the mounting arm holes down to 7/16"?
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajsph

Re: Headlamp mounting...?

Post by ajsph »

The spacer 014340 is only used on the competition models with the smaller headlamp.
Poul
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajsph wrote:The spacer 014340 is only used on the competition models with the smaller headlamp.
Poul
Yes... I see that now. Thanks.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

You have a headlamp for sidelights and headlamp brackets (post '57) for models with no sidelights. The spacers are for competition bikes with the smaller headlamp.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

dave16mct wrote:You have a headlamp for sidelights and headlamp brackets (post '57) for models with no sidelights. The spacers are for competition bikes with the smaller headlamp.
I suspected something like that... I think whoever put this one together was a Johnny Cash fan... One Piece at a Time!!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

An easy if unconventional fix is to fit a suitably sized O ring onto the bolt after the washer - the O ring then centralises the bolt in the ear and will compress into the ear hole to allow the ear / headlamp shell to clamp up.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

An easy if unconventional fix is to fit a suitably sized O ring onto the bolt after the washer - the O ring then centralises the bolt in the ear and will compress into the ear hole to allow the ear / headlamp shell to clamp up.

Regards Mick
THank you, Mick... I hadn't thought of something that simple. :oops: :D