ikon jampot inserts

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
asterysk_usa

ikon jampot inserts

Post by asterysk_usa »

I spotted these , apparently explicitly for the jampots, was wondering if someone could help with a few queries:

1) Will the jampots look original with these inserts i.e. are they totally hidden
2) will they be easy to service without dismantling the jampots
3) Do they work !!
4) What would be the benefit of getting my original jampots refurbished compared to replacing with these inserts

What I'm looking for overall with my 18S is to look as much like original but be reliable and repairable when in a remote place where it is used daily i.e. it will be a functional mode of transport
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
GOLDSTAR

Re: ikon jampot inserts

Post by GOLDSTAR »

browned off with rebuilding jampots I obtained a set of Ikon inserts some years ago, work as well as the jampots with no rebuilding every so often, Kind regards
bitza

Post by bitza »

Yes straightforward swap.the old Koni brand now made in Australia.hard bit is screwing the collar on you need to compress the spring.I used a a black and decker drill stand.check out their web site.
Last edited by bitza on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Refurbed units from club spares?

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... tegory=122
That was my first option, however, what I need above everything else is good reliability and the ability to do easy maintenance without special tools.

This would be the first major departure from original for me and it doesn't sit easily, however, at the end of the day I need the bike to be as reliable as possible for everyday transport so the Ikon became appealing
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

asterysk_usa wrote: That was my first option, however, what I need above everything else is good reliability..
Jampots have proved to be reliable for many tens of thousands of miles.
...and the ability to do easy maintenance without special tools.
.....once every ten or more years?

;)
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
asterysk_usa wrote: That was my first option, however, what I need above everything else is good reliability..
Jampots have proved to be reliable for many tens of thousands of miles.
...and the ability to do easy maintenance without special tools.
.....once every ten or more years?

;)
I can live with every 10 years and tens of thousands of miles ! Will go for reconditioned or get them refurbished, many thx for input
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well, you are doing a very thorough and conscientious job so it would be appropriate to have 'proper' Jampots. :beer:
Whilst the modern Ikon and Koni units are undeniably more,.......err......... modern, and possibly a bit less costly(?), if your riding necessitates ultimate roadholding something else will be the limiting factor - most likely the brakes. In more than 25 years around AMC bikes and owners I've never heard of Jampots failing catastrophically.
It would be a shame if the bike ended up like Granddad's broom that he's been using for 40 years which has only ever needed five new brush heads and three new handles.