Making frame number clearer

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
asterysk_usa

Making frame number clearer

Post by asterysk_usa »

My frame number stamping isn't very deep. I'm going to mask it during blasting and use old fashioned paint stripper

Any suggestions on what if anything I can do with it before priming and painting to preserve as much detail as possible, I was consider getting an engraving tool and making the stamping cleaner but am wary

thx
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
alanengineer

Re: Making frame number clearer

Post by alanengineer »

dont tamper with the number and try and make it deeper. Just scrape out the paint with a scriber and dont put too many layers of paint in that area. When painted, if you need to highlight the number, rub in some chalk dust.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If a number appears to have been tampered with, it will not be considered genuine.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:If a number appears to have been tampered with, it will not be considered genuine.
Maybe you are already aware of it, but this is very important since if you intend to ride it in the U.K., and assuming it isn't on the Gov't (DVLA) records you will need to obtain a Dating Certificate from the Club's factory records in order to register it and obtain an age-related registration number. You will have to provide this club's Dating Officer with a clear photograph of the frame number. The frame number is the official proof of its identity which is acceptable to the DVLA. The bike when complete will almost certainly be subject to inspection in order to verify its authenticity which will fail if the frame number has been altered, enhanced or tampered with in any way.
More info here:

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp
I expect other countries will have similar requirements but you'll still need a Dating Certificate.
HTH.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:If a number appears to have been tampered with, it will not be considered genuine.
Maybe you are already aware of it, but this is very important since if you intend to ride it in the U.K., and assuming it isn't on the Gov't (DVLA) records you will need to obtain a Dating Certificate from the Club's factory records in order to register it and obtain an age-related registration number. You will have to provide this club's Dating Officer with a clear photograph of the frame number. The frame number is the official proof of its identity which is acceptable to the DVLA. The bike when complete will almost certainly be subject to inspection in order to verify its authenticity which will fail if the frame number has been altered, enhanced or tampered with in any way.
More info here:

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp
I expect other countries will have similar requirements but you'll still need a Dating Certificate.
HTH.
This is very useful to know, thankyou. Once I get the paint removed I will take a photo and send in for the certificate (is there a similar thing for the engine ?)
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

alanengineer wrote:dont tamper with the number and try and make it deeper. Just scrape out the paint with a scriber and dont put too many layers of paint in that area. When painted, if you need to highlight the number, rub in some chalk dust.
The scriber sounds like an excellent idea, many thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

asterysk_usa wrote:
I will take a photo and send in for the certificate (is there a similar thing for the engine ?)
You will have to declare the engine number when obtaining an age related registration number and it will appear on the new V5c (registration document) but engine numbers can be amended at any time. Engines are/were often changed.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

I now have a very clear frame number after blasting, have asked the paint shop to mask the frame number before they powder coat with epoxy primer . This then leaves me with the decision on what to do with the bare metal around the frame number so that I prevent rust but keep the stamping very clear, open to any suggestions

Also, as I researched the dating options form the club I saw mention of a gearbox serial, could someone kindly advise where this should be located on a Burman
clive

Post by clive »

If your gearbox has a number it will be on the top edge around where the clutch cable enters.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

clive wrote:If your gearbox has a number it will be on the top edge around where the clutch cable enters.
I searched everywhere but can't find any number. Am I correct in assuming that the gearbox serial was optional when the bike left the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk