Getting my magneto out

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
mjf65

Getting my magneto out

Post by mjf65 »

Finally I've managed to get a bit of garage time. Anyway the crankcase cover is now removed (no gasket fitted?). I managed to get the top two nuts undone on the magneto housing but it looks like I need a puller to remove the drive gear, any suggestions on a suitable model? Also once that is removed can I then get the third bolt out from behind the gear? If not it looks like it's a primary drive cover off to get a socket in there?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
bitza

Re: Getting my magneto out

Post by bitza »

Mag pinion extractor from club spares,to remove the gear, then a slim spanner up behind the engine to grab the nut, and socket or box spanner to timing chest side ,but they are a fiddley b----r to do, when I did took mine of I made screwdriver slot in the head of that bolt after I removed the mag, then you can hold the nut in the spanner with a bit of gaffer tape or such like to gently start the bolt and nip it up using the screwdriver then use the socket to tighten it up.yes you need to remove timing cover.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Thanks I'll get that gear removal tool ordered along with the gasket for the C/case cover.
I noticed that some folks fit a special extended 1/4W nut, apparently it's a BSA part. The nut extends all the way past the end of the magneto so you can get an open ended spanner on it. One was fitted to a Matchless at the Calne bike festival.

Groily

Post by Groily »

mjf65 wrote: I noticed that some folks fit a special extended 1/4W nut, apparently it's a BSA part.
Yup. The BSA long nut fits onto a fixed stud, which is equally inaccessible, rather than a removable bolt like on ours. It's not always all that easy to get the long nut started on its thread on a Beeza either!
But anything is better than removing the whole primary side just to get at a nut.
Another wheeze to get the original nut in position is to solder a length of stiff wire to it, as a 'handle' for holding it in position while getting the bolt started.
bitza

Post by bitza »

The solder tip sounds a good tip must remember that one. A M C Classic spares , mag pinion extractor
Part 015273 £ 10-00 phone is 01462 811770.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

bitza wrote:The solder tip sounds a good tip must remember that one. A M C Classic spares , mag pinion extractor
Thanks bitza

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

bitza wrote:The solder tip sounds a good tip must remember that one. A M C Classic spares , mag pinion extractor
Here we go again! Or club spares £10.75 and it helps support the future of the club. Use it or lose it people.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman wrote:Here we go again! Or club spares £10.75 and it helps support the future of the club. Use it or lose it people.
Hi

Am I the only one to think all this pressure to subsidise Club spares is getting tedious?

It's a competitive world, if Club Spares can't use their buying power to offer parts cheaper than other suppliers you can't blame folk for shopping around.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:Here we go again! Or club spares £10.75 and it helps support the future of the club. Use it or lose it people.
Hi

Am I the only one to think all this pressure to subsidise Club spares is getting tedious?

It's a competitive world, if Club Spares can't use their buying power to offer parts cheaper than other suppliers you can't blame folk for shopping around.

Regards Mick
Why wouldn't you? It's a case of use it or lose it!