To indicate or not to indicate?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
spookefoote1956

Re: To indicate or not to indicate?

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Too true Dave.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Dave and Chris

A buzzer or tell tale light is a device to remind the rider to turn off the indicators - it's not an automatic cancellation device, Group Leader is correct in my opinion, the best way to assess when the indicators should be cancelled is for the rider to do it - if he forgets, remind him.

Regards Mick
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

dave16mct wrote:You have only to go on any club run to see those who don't have a warning buzzer, riding on for miles indicating away until someone reminds them to turn them off!
Dave.
Dave, you are correct, some of my best mates are always forgetting to turn their indicators off and I regularly have to jesticulate to remind them to turn them off. :rofl:

My point was that, if you can remember to turn them on (as they are part of the fitted equipment and therefore an integral part of the operation of the machine) you should be able to remember to turn them off again.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

GEDC1404.JPG
GEDC1403.JPG
GEDC1401.JPG
Hi John & McBob I didn't want to drill or weld anything to fix the indicators so I thinned and bent the existing bracket which was like a tongue which protruded behind the bar. I passed it through the big hole in the lower yoke and clamped it with a spacer visible in the pic and stabilised it with a bracket fixed to the threaded fixing point which existed already and which I believe is for a steering damper, absent on my bike. The pictures are , I think, more eloquent than my ramblings!
The bar is still nice and solid after a few hundred miles but can be removed without leaving marks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

I have indicator warning lights but have occasionally forgotten to turn the indicators off. I tried fitting a buzzer which seemed reasonably loud but, although my hearing is fairly good, I could not hear it when on the move wearing, as usual, a full face helmet and ear plugs. I fitted an additional buzzer but still could not hear them and therefore removed them.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Richard Mills wrote:I have indicator warning lights but have occasionally forgotten to turn the indicators off. I tried fitting a buzzer which seemed reasonably loud but, although my hearing is fairly good, I could not hear it when on the move wearing, as usual, a full face helmet and ear plugs. I fitted an additional buzzer but still could not hear them and therefore removed them.
I also fitted the loudests buzzer I could find to my Meriden Bonneville. I wouldn't fit into the headlamp shell so I fitted it behind one of the side panels. I can hear it while the bike is stationary but with a full face helmet, there's no chance once I'm moving.
I fitted indicators to my G3 and fabricated a small stainless plate that fits under the left hand fork cap nut. That holds an indicator lamp which is pretty much 'in your face'. The LED indicator lamp in the photo wasn't really bright enough on a sunny day so it's been replaced with a slightly larger lamp holder and a 10w incandescent bulb. That IS bright enough to let you know that the indicators are still on.
picture132.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

When I've done the other more pressing work I'll be fitting the buzzer in addition to the idiot light. Behind the Avon handlebar fairing the buzzer should echo quite well.

The engine does!

Johnny B
alanjennings

Rhastablete: To indicate or not to indicate?

Post by alanjennings »

my tablet has died! so I'm on a machine that I cannot control! Never mind the indicators John, get your engine fixed! Off to Stafford on Sunday, perhaps I can find you an engine for 50p?
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Pharisee

Re: Rhastablete: To indicate or not to indicate?

Post by Pharisee »

alanjennings wrote:my tablet has died! so I'm on a machine that I cannot control! Never mind the indicators John, get your engine fixed! Off to Stafford on Sunday, perhaps I can find you an engine for 50p?
(I hope) My engine has been fixed, Alan. Barrel has been re-sleeved back to standard with a new piston. The camshafts have been shimmed to around 2 thou end float, from 10-12 thou. It will go back in the frame next week sometime. I'm collecting the front wheel from CWC tomorrow and I collected the last of the powder coating this morning. That just leaves the painting on the various bits of tin but my painter has gone off on holiday to Bulgaria so I'm not going to see that anytime soon!! It will all be back together again ready for the new year.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Alan, if you see a working 500 for less than £250 I'd have it - ha ha. Keep me on the road while I fix the other one. Linda still insisting that if I buy a cheap Dullville, you can get one under 30k miles for less than £2k, she'll.................................................................................

Get another dog! AAarrrggghhh.

I thought you were home now. See my other post - Rover 75 High Pressure Fuel Pump - for what's been occupying me.

Johnny B