Rear Brake drum

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
BruceB

Re: Rear Brake drum

Post by BruceB »

Group Leader wrote:
bob121 wrote:
The thing that amazes me about the Chronometric speedo is just how robust these apparently delicate, precision clock movements are given the environment they work in on our motorcycles, highlighted by the fact that they have done so for decades. They appear to be extremely accurate too - I like to check the calibration as I pass each radar speed sign of which there are many these days :rofl:

Alan
Mine was very jumpy so I bit the bullet and took it apart and cleaned it. There are amazing little bits of kit and have lots of small parts. However with a bit of care and good eyesight it is fairly easy to work out how it works and clean it up, generally and amazingly this is generally all they need.
It seems that oil being transmitted up the drive cable is the usual culprit, contaminating the mech and stopping it reading correctly.

and yes, mine now works fine, I did manage to put it all back together correctly! :D
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
bob121

Re: Rear Brake drum

Post by bob121 »

This is sorted for the most part. There were several issues and the last being the drum does need skimming.