Clutch Advice Needed - gears graunching - no adjustment

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Jai

Clutch Advice Needed - gears graunching - no adjustment

Post by Jai »

Looking for some help/advice with my Norton/AMC clutch please.

Whilst out riding, gear changing became noisy with gears graunching when selected. I went to adjust the cable adjuster on the clutch lever (on the handlebar) and found that it was screwed out to its furthest extent; winding it in caused more graunching, so I wound it back out to its previous position and thankfully, got home.

In the workshop, I slackened off the clutch cable adjuster on the clutch lever by winding it all the way in, then removed the dome, slackened the clutch centre lock nut for the thrust rod and turned the screw until some resistance was felt then back off exactly half a turn and nipped the lock nut back up.

I then adjusted the clutch lever cable adjuster to about half way but it was still way too slack and didn't operate the clutch at all.

I thought about screwing in the thrust rod adjuster more (i.e. past the point of initial resistance) however, I'm not sure what affect this will have on the clutch and anyways, it's not what it says to do in the book.

Can someone help me understand what's going on and how I can adjust the clutch properly so I can get the clutch cable adjuster back to where it originally started and not at its furthest extend.

I didn't touch the adjuster that goes into the gearbox; just the adjuster on the clutch lever on the handlebar.

Thanks in advance,

Jai
Mick D

Re: Clutch Advice Needed - gears graunching - no adjustment

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Your adjustment procedure is correct but it sounds like something is wrong with the cable - check the nipples haven't moved.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Is the bike new to you? If so........
Maybe it has the wrong cable, i.e. the inner is too long.
Maybe the ball is missing from the thrust rod.
If the clutch basket nut is beginning to come undone it will prevent correct adjustment (and get worse).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

SPRIDDLER wrote: If the clutch basket nut is beginning to come undone it will prevent correct adjustment (and get worse).
That is exactly what happened to my G3 with an AMC clutch and gearbox. I ended up having to push the bike home, fortunately not very far. There is no locking/tab washer on that nut so I put it together initially with a 'Nordlock' wedge locking washer. That still allowed the nut to loosen and come undone so the second time I put it back together with blue Loctite. It's been ok for the last 1500 miles.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.

Post by 1608 »

I think Spriddler has it in one. You have adjusted the clutch correctly as per the book. If this adjustment has had no or little effect then it may be the common problem of the clutch hub centre nut coming loose. You need to remove the primary chain case and the clutch plates to access the hub centre nut. When all done you should adjust as before and then the cable using the h/bar or g/box adjuster to give about 1/8th inch play at the h/bar lever.
Jai

Post by Jai »

Thanks everyone; your advice is very much appreciated.

I'll get it apart and have a look at the clutch hub centre nut as 1608 suggests and report back.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

If you use /have a replacement clutch lever, you may find that the clutch inner needs shortening by about 1/2". Same with the front brake.
Jai

Post by Jai »

I got the pressure plate off and the plates out and they all look fine. Not too much wear and no surprises.

However, I can't check the tightness of the centre nut because the clutch centre moves freely. Any ideas on locking it up so I can check the tightness of the centre nut.

cheers,
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Put the gearbox into fourth gear and get someone to apply the rear brake whilst you check the nut.

If the centre is loose enough to cause the problems you have with the cable you should be able to slide it on the splines - did you check the security of the nipples?

Regards Mick
Jai

Post by Jai »

Thanks Mick, that worked a treat to hold it.

The clutch centre nut was tight. I slackened it off a couple of turns, then re-did it back up (in fourth with the brake on).

I checked the nipples and they haven't moved. The one in the gearbox is sitting in it's holder and the handlebar lever one is as it should be.

Plates are back in, cup screws done up and thrust pin re-adjusted and I have got around 8mm of adjustment back (i.e. to play with).

This is less than I was hoping for but is just about workable. So, has something worn in the clutch? How do I get more adjustment back?