1954 18S preservation project (with lots of pictures)

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ajscomboman

Re: 1954 18S preservation project (with lots of pictures)

Post by ajscomboman »

The historical cock up has now been rectified and hopefully this time you'll get your plain nuts. Personally I'd turn the nut up the other way on the chaincase steady and leave it. It looks better than the plain nut.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

000004 is a very old part which I believe was first used in the late 1920's by AJS of Wolverhampton, with it's old pt. no. STD 4. I have never seen 000004 listed with the suffix G. In which parts list is this seen ? Quite often when a pt. no. gets suffix it has a meaning which is stated in the parts list. It quite often refers to the parts finish. 000004 is a very common fitting used on many parts of a bike. So always worth ordering a few extra for the spares box. Here's where you need that part on a 54 twin.
Ashampoo_Snap_01 May 2019_10h34m27s_003_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Well, I ordered another seal.. Hopefully it'll take less than a month to arrive this time =)

:roll:
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Haven't had much time to work on the bike, and I'm still waiting for the correct nuts for the various missing bits, but I did get the new type seal installed...

I guess it's leaking slower?

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Did it all stop in May ?
Sam
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Samuel wrote:Did it all stop in May ?
Sort of it's been a busy busy summer for me. New adopted child, promotion at work and my company was sold =) Its funny though that you poke this thread right now because just in the last 2 days I've put some more effort into this bike.

I'm still waiting for my machinist buddy to make me a few parts (I need solder type nipples and oil fittings), but I did finally complete the electrical system and managed to get the new tire on the rear wheel.

Completed getting the rear plate and light finished

This is how I routed the wiring for the tail light. The wrap you see is self-adhering silicone tape to protect it from abrasion. The wires are neatly tucked into the gutter space on the fender down toward a small opening which the wires routed through. They then went up to a 4 way splitter. Again all points which may see any kind of abrasion are wrapped in this special tape.

There wasn't much in the way of guide lines on how to route the wires for a brake light switch, and apparently even fewer people have this (apparently rare) brake light switch. So I routed it like so.

There's a small space under the cross bracing which allows for the wire to run through without much trouble, I've "tied" the wire with the same old school strapping. I expect this to get dirty based on where it's at but the wire should do fine, it's marine grade tinned wire and is fuel resistant

And with all that work

Hope you guys are all doing well and now that the summer is winding down I'll have more time to mess around with this project :D :beer:

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Another great update - I love the way you document everything you do so well.
Sam
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Quick update, my machinist buddy was finally able to find some time to build me some custom fittings for the oil lines, so if I have some time this weekend I'll build them and install them on the machine.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Can someone confirm the return / supply ports on the engine. I'm having trouble finding the answer, I've got the lower port, which has the extension union going to the supply side in this picture

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Have you looked in the manual?
54 Manual Oil Feeds.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.