Front fork dismantling

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
RogGillingham

Front fork dismantling

Post by RogGillingham »

Hi all. Further to other posts re broken studs at bottom of front forks I have found a place not too far away happy to sort out issue but I need to remove the bottom part of the forks. Page 57 of instruction manual clearly shows on diagram and talks about on page 55 "To remove a fork slider" a hole in the slider for the application of a hooked end spanner. Mine has NO holes so removing the extension and then the slider is proving difficult!
A
Am I missing something here or has anyone any suggestions for removal?
Many thanks.
Roger
If no reply - Gone fishing!
Mick D

Re: Front fork dismantling

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Later slider extensions did not have the holes for a 'C' spanner, try heating the thread area with a hot air paint stripper, liberal application of penetrating fluid and using a strap wrench near the bottom of the extension, (don't use it at the top or you will distort the extension).

A Pipe wrench with suitably protected jaws may work if the above doesn't.

Failing that you are probably going to have to mark the sliders during removal, a pipe wrench directly on them or cut an access as I had to:
Slider Trim.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RogGillingham

Post by RogGillingham »

Thanks Mick. At least you have confirmed I'm not going blind!! That's quite a hole in them, I take it you got new ones to replace?
If no reply - Gone fishing!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

RogGillingham wrote: I take it you got new ones to replace?
Hi

Yes, I always intended to replace them - one came off with heat and a strap wrench, the other required an industrial 'C' spanner - hence the hole.

Hopefully yours will be less problematic.

Regards Mick
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

I recently dismantled my forks and also found a strap wrench, heat and copious bad language was the only way to undo the slider extensions. It took a while but I got them off with no damage.

As for removing the bottom sliders from the oil seal and bush, I used a home made 'pusher' as described in other threads which worked a treat; however, this does need you to have clear bottom stud threads which it sounds like you don't so you might have to resort to the technique of clamping the stanchion in a vice and yanking furiously on the bottom slider.
bitza

Post by bitza »

I had same problem on G9, 53, heat, WD 40 to remove slider extensions, the held the stancions in vice heat on the alloy leg and keep
Pulling snatching till it came off the plastic bushes.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

RogGillingham wrote:Hi all. Further to other posts re broken studs at bottom of front forks I have found a place not too far away happy to sort out issue but I need to remove the bottom part of the forks. Page 57 of instruction manual clearly shows on diagram and talks about on page 55 "To remove a fork slider" a hole in the slider for the application of a hooked end spanner. Mine has NO holes so removing the extension and then the slider is proving difficult!
A
Am I missing something here or has anyone any suggestions for removal?
Many thanks.
Roger
May be time to visit your local Essex as there are 3 to chose from.
Roy
bitza

Post by bitza »

I had a broken stud in my fork leg where the m/guard fitted, if the stud is broken off flush or near enough wire brush it nice and shiny,
Find a thickesh washer same hole size as stud, using a m I g welder tack it to the stud then build up the weld so you can grip it with a
Mole wrench, the heat should expand the alloy faster than the steel stud, and the broken piece screws out,this is the method I used.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Why not weld in a nut - then you can put a spanner on it.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Nut's ok if your welder has enough power to puddle weld to the stud, to big a hole and you risk damage to the alloy.