Dynamo removal 1951 G9

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Geoff Newis

Dynamo removal 1951 G9

Post by Geoff Newis »

I need to remove the dynamo from my 1951 G9. I have slackened the clamping strap as per the maintenance manual but the dynamo refuses to budge. I have rotated the engine slowly a couple of times to see if easing the gears might help and I have given it a couple of gentle taps with a wooden drift but no joy or any sign of movement at all.
bitza

Re: Dynamo removal 1951 G9

Post by bitza »

Have you removed the small nut on the face of timing cover, this used to hold the Dyno up snug after sliding it home, when reinstalling
Should not be hard to remove, after sliding it away from timing side you should see a cork gasket.
Geoff Newis

Post by Geoff Newis »

Brilliant thanks. I had no idea that had anything to do with the dynamo and it is not mentioned in my maintenance manual. I will give it a try shortly.
Geoff Newis

Post by Geoff Newis »

Thanks Bitza, that solved it and thanks for the heads up on the cork gasket.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Fine , pleased you got it sorted, it"s not a normal open nut, what I would call a blind sleeve nut, there's probably a correct name for it,
The idea being using a new gasket with smear of sealant around it or the hole in the c/ case, you push the Dyno home then snug it up with the nut, when all"s ok tighten the clamping screw.
Be careful when pulling up the nut, it"s easy strip and pull the stud out of the Dyno face plate,
Geoff Newis

Post by Geoff Newis »

Thanks again
raffles

Post by raffles »

And its even harder to make it oil tight
Tony
bitza

Post by bitza »

That is why I suggested a smear of sealant, but did club member suggest also fitting a O ring with the cork gasket, I know they'r prone to leaks around that area.
Geoff Newis

Post by Geoff Newis »

If the new gasket and sealant doesn't work I'll try PTFE Teflon tape taped over the cork gasket then the the O ring route and if they all fail then I'll try silicon bathroom sealant.
raffles

Post by raffles »

I would go straight in with the cork gasket and the bathroom silicon, that has been my choice for several
years now however do not damage or take a nick out of the gasket when fitting it. I smear on the silicon
ease the gasket into position gently easing it behind the retaining stud (yes it will fit if you are careful)
recover the surface with the silicon assemble the dynamo into the crank case tighten all the way home
then tighten the strap LEAVE IT ALONE fora minimum of 24 hours remove excess silicon with craft knife or similar
remove timing cover and remove excess from inside then re assemble. There will be other versions of this
but I know it works
Tony