What's a happy cruising speed for 16MS?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

The Subject says it all really. What are owners of the 350's finding as a happy cruising speed. I've only recently got the bike, and have been running around North Wales on B roads for a few hundred miles. But this week , I'm travelling up to Hull for the ferry with a few 650 BSA'a. So whilst not wanting to hold them back too much, neither do I want to totally blow the bike apart.

I ran her at an indicated 65mph up the A55 for 30 miles. The bike seemed fairly happy, but am I stretching it too far. I also noted that when parked up there was oil at the bottom of the primary chaincase, on further examination it seemed to have come out of a small pipe about the diameter of a petrol pipe. I thought this may be some form of breather to keep the chain oiled is it?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I would not even think of running my G3LS at that speed perhaps 45-50 not much more.
Chemists do it with test tubes
HALL

Post by HALL »

I usually bat along at between 50 t0 60 mph on my 16 ms no trouble - always seems comfortable and sounds gorgeous.
ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

Crikey Merlin, I run my Ariel Leader faster than that.

Must confess though that it does sound well at 55. All easy and unhurried.Edited by - ajaygray on 24 Apr 2006 4:41:09 PM
Charles

Post by Charles »

When I last had a discussion on this subject it was regarding model 18s and what we discovered is that we all rode them at speeds we were comfortable with as riders but also where the vibrations disappeared and the bike felt right. I've completely rebuilt mine and it now runs at a lower speed as the dynamics in the engine have changed and the vibration disapperas at least 10mph slower than before.
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Will your 18S do 60 now Charles?
Charles
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Question: What's a happy cruising speed for 16MS?

Answer: It all depends on how fast you can "push" it
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

quote:
there was oil at the bottom of the primary chaincase, on further examination it seemed to have come out of a small pipe about the diameter of a petrol pipe. I thought this may be some form of breather to keep the chain oiled is it?

Yes!

I thought the top speed was 65mph ish?? I'm suprised it seemed comfortable for that distance. I would imagine 50~55 would be better but all bikes are different and if you felt it was ok then it probably was. a slower speed would be more relaxing. You could aleays get a twin if you want speed (I recommend a Triumph)
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I always understood the maximum for the 350's was 75MPH with 82MPH for the 500's. I agree with Lawrence they seem happy at 50 - 55. My teenage G3 was driven flat out most of the time and in 48,000 miles I destroyed the bigend once with no other major problems.

ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

I've got an A65 Lawrence, but its in the dog house at the moment, as the cyl base gasket is leaking. Hence the reason to use the AJ with the 650 twins.
Maybe I phrased the topic heading incorrectly, as I suppose what I really should have asked is how fast can I push the 350 without terminal problems happening on the motorway whilst trying to keep up with the bigger bikes.