Front fork bushes

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Front fork bushes

Post by Pharisee »

I'm rebuilding the 1.1/4" front forks from my '55 M18S and would like to replace the worn plastic top bushes. The apart number, according to the parts list is 021782. That brings up "No item to display" on the spares web site but I can't believe that they've never been availabe. A search for 'plastic bush' brings up a couple of numbers, 015286 and 022700 but the description doesn't say whether they are for 1.1/8" or 1.1/4" diameter forks.
Can anyone point me to the correct part, please
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
McMaz

Re: Front fork bushes

Post by McMaz »

John,
The parts list at AMC Classic Spares (http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Suspension.pdf) seems to have the answer.
"022700B - 1¼" top bush, bronze - superior to plastic version (pair). Also use for 1955 021782 top bushes"
Sean
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mc-Maz wrote:John,
The parts list at AMC Classic Spares (http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Suspension.pdf) seems to have the answer.
"022700B - 1¼" top bush, bronze - superior to plastic version (pair). Also use for 1955 021782 top bushes"
Sean
Thanks for the info.... Looks like my problem is solved. Assuiming they have a pair in stock.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It's a little more complex than that. For the 1955 forks they used a one off bush and slim oil seal, however as you've found they aren't available due to the fact that the later bush and oil seal can be used in their place. You must use both later items as you can't mix the later bush with an earlier oil seal as there will be sloppiness when the seal holder is screwed in as it won't touch the top edge of the oil seal and hold it in place. Like wise if you use early bushes and later oil seals you won't be able to screw the oil seal holder home fully.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajscomboman wrote:It's a little more complex than that. For the 1955 forks they used a one off bush and slim oil seal, however as you've found they aren't available due to the fact that the later bush and oil seal can be used in their place. You must use both later items as you can't mix the later bush with an earlier oil seal as there will be sloppiness when the seal holder is screwed in as it won't touch the top edge of the oil seal and hold it in place. Like wise if you use early bushes and later oil seals you won't be able to screw the oil seal holder home fully.
More valuable information. Thanks.
I've ordered new seals and bushes from AMC Classic Spares. I'm sure that the very nice Mr Surby will know the correct parts for my '55 forks.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:It's a little more complex than that. For the 1955 forks they used a one off bush and slim oil seal, however as you've found they aren't available due to the fact that the later bush and oil seal can be used in their place. You must use both later items as you can't mix the later bush with an earlier oil seal as there will be sloppiness when the seal holder is screwed in as it won't touch the top edge of the oil seal and hold it in place. Like wise if you use early bushes and later oil seals you won't be able to screw the oil seal holder home fully.
More valuable information. Thanks.
I've ordered new seals and bushes from AMC Classic Spares. I'm sure that the very nice Mr Surby will know the correct parts for my '55 forks.
He will.