AJS Very poor starting advice needed

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Iron Head

Re: AJS Very poor starting advice needed

Post by Iron Head »

I can certainly relate to a lot of this and the learning curve I have gone through with my ‘48 G80. With my pre-monobloc I find no more than a tickle so as it just ‘weeps' from the main jet venturi and no choke and she usually goes third kick. Hot, just turn on the gas and no throttle and off she should go. Although rebuilt, my magneto spark isn't the best and I find NGK Iridium (non resistor) plugs work well in enhancing the spark.

Iron Head
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Interesting. I use iridium plugs on my bikes but they have been converted to electronic ignition. I thought they weren't advisable to use on mags.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Iron Head wrote:I can certainly relate to a lot of this and the learning curve I have gone through with my ‘48 G80. With my pre-monobloc I find no more than a tickle so as it just ‘weeps' from the main jet venturi and no choke and she usually goes third kick. Hot, just turn on the gas and no throttle and off she should go. Although rebuilt, my magneto spark isn't the best and I find NGK Iridium (non resistor) plugs work well in enhancing the spark.

Iron Head
I didn't think NGK made any non-resistive Iridium spark plugs. The 'R' in the plug number specifies that they are a resistor plug e.g. BKR6EIX, BR9EIX, CR9EIX etc.

Cheers. Bruce.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Sorry guys you are quite correct that the iridium plugs have resistors but I took the advice from Matchless Clueless where he, I believe quite correctly, advises that the fine electrode wire these use work well with magnetos. Certainly seems to get a good spark for me.
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Just to add to the Iridium plug chat.... I used these on my magneto fired twin. They worked great for about 3000 miles and then it became an erratic starter. When I removed the plugs the pointy electrode had eroded away to leave a massive gap. So, for me they were good but short lived.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

That's very interesting to hear I'd better monitor my iridium erosion levels, although 3000 miles will be about 10 years riding for me on this old girl with no lights etc and I can hopefully afford the £8.00 or whatever for iridium. The iridium thing probably is all snake oil anyway, I'm still chuckling at the ridiculously blue fat spark the ‘54 CS is producing on its 1950's American Champion plug!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Always used Champions with the SR1 mag and in 30+ years they've worked for me.

Johnny B