Stator Problems

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Boatbouy2

Stator Problems

Post by Boatbouy2 »

I have recently purchased a 1958 G3 LS it has had a lot of new parts fitted, but on a closer look these paths had not been fitted very well. So I have decided to strip and rebuild this bike as a project. It has been a very long time since I have done this sort of thing so I have joined the owners club for help a long the way. To this end can anybody help me with a stator problem. When I opened up the chain case I found that the 6volt stator had no wiring attached to it. I have checked the loom and circuit diagram and know that there should be a light green, dark green and green/yellow coming from the stator. The 70mm is ok with strong magnets . Can someone suggest the best way of repairing/replacing this item as I am weak on anything electrical. This is just the start of the rebuild.
clive

Re: Stator Problems

Post by clive »

Welcome to the club Dennis. As yet you are not set up on the system as a member so your posts will not appear immediately. Drop an email to Eamonn webmaster@jampot.com . Cannot help with the electrical issue I am afraid.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Can you see the remains of the wires at the stator? If so it's easy enough to test the stator for continuity, resistance and leakage, this will determine if the wires can just be replaced or if the stator needs to be rewound or replaced.
If you can expose the three wire ends and you have a multimeter I can post instructions to test the stator or maybe there is someone in your area who will offer to assist you.

Whatever the case, a broken stator is easy to resolve, (you will be bombarded with suggestions to 'upgrade' to 12 volts, LED lighting, solid state rectification and ignition for you to ponder), just sit back take your time and enjoy the journey.

Regards Mick
Boatbouy2

Post by Boatbouy2 »

Thanks Mick for your reply. Unfortunately there are no wires at all. I would prefer not to upgrade tp 12v so hopefully I can get some info on where I can get it checked.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A new 6V three wire stator is readily available for around £90 so bear that in mind when considering repair.

Regards Mick
Boatbouy2

Post by Boatbouy2 »

Thanks. I have looked at that but it is a different size.