Over charging a battery 1959 G3

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Groily

Re: Over charging a battery 1959 G3

Post by Groily »

I'm with Reynard and Mick (and Winkie now) on this.
If the ammeter shows a charge of 5A with all loads switched on, then the system is producing all the current required to support what's on (which should get the ammeter from Minus 5 to zero with a few revs on) plus the 5A extra shown on the gauge. That 5A ought to be about 1A I reckon, apart from after idling with lights on etc, when it will be higher for a short time.

I have had no probs with A Reg 1s myself - the two I have show about 1A charge in all conditions, with not-so-new batteries, using 45/50 and 55/60W halogen bulbs (and magneto ignition.)
It would be worth taking a voltage reading across the battery with the engine running maybe; also from the dc output lead from the A Reg 1, to see what is actually coming through it (both volts and amps).
And maybe check the wiring on the switch to be sure that all loads are actually going through the ammeter!? If they aren't then, you would see a charge equal to the load being drawn, as the system compensated for a demand on the battery not shown on the ammeter - because it's not going through it. Brake lights and horns wired directly from the battery demonstrate this effect on the ammeter nicely.

OTOH, could just be that the ammeter is inaccurate and, basically, exaggerates!
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Is the ignition taken off before the Ammeter?
leobailey

Post by leobailey »

OK I've read all of your responses and regret I ever bought an "A Reg One" if that's the source of my problems.
I did quickly look at the Boyer power box solution one of you recommended but that was £90 + p&p, so I think I'll leave that for now.

So on my 10 amp single phase alternator, what happens if I simply disconnect one of the two feeder wire, does the output simply get less, and solve my problem.

I would go back to using a solid state rectifier and Zener diode, but zeners are apparently rare as hens teeth.

Leo

By the way is it Zener or Zenner , spell check says they are both wrong
leobailey

Post by leobailey »

Just read the additional posts.

The PAZON ignition is fed directly off the battery ( through a cut out switch ) so it's current does not go through the Ammeter.

Tomorrow I'll try and check all the voltages and amps ( that I can ) and report back.

Everything is fine at the moment I'm just concerned that I may prematurely bugger the battery up.

What about my idea of simply disconnecting one of the two alternator feed wires, dumb or OK :?:

Leo
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If your alternator only has two wires both need to be connected to the rectifier for it to function - the alternator is designed to only output 10A which must then be managed by the regulator.

Do you have a wiring diagram of how you have configured your bike that you can post?

Regards Mick
Winkie

Post by Winkie »

The Type A rectifier is a great piece of kit and generally highly thought of. Mine is excellent and solved all of the problems that I had with the zener diode. It can be damaged by incorrect wiring, bad earth, etc One of the issues that we all face is that most of our machines have had their wiring modified in some way over the years, and non original alternators, electronic ignition and such like may well affect things. For example, with the type A you can remove any additional wiring to the light switch that was originally there to switch in more coils on the alternator with lights on. A long winded way of saying check the wiring to check that it is correct for your set up.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Leo, You've partly answered your own question. if the sparks side is not going through the ammeter then the ignition current will show as a charge on the ammeter at all times as the alternator / regulator compensate for a demand on the battery that you can't see on the ammeter.

Two ac wires both have to be connected as Mick says.

I'd start by running your feed for the Pazon elec ign through the switch & ammeter properly, and see what you see. I'd also, as mentioned before, check that the switch is wired correctly for all the other gubbins.

A Reg 1s are reliable generally. I have swapped out zeners for A Reg 1s on several machines. The Podtronics boxes are also good, the Boyer too, but nowt wrong with the A Reg in my own cases anyway. And very good value.

My gut feeling is there is nothing much wrong apart from the wiring . . .
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'll second the fact A reg's are not bad, fitted 2 and had no issues at all.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Groily wrote:Leo, You've partly answered your own question. if the sparks side is not going through the ammeter then the ignition current will show as a charge on the ammeter at all times as the alternator / regulator compensate for a demand on the battery that you can't see on the ammeter.

Two ac wires both have to be connected as Mick says.

I'd start by running your feed for the Pazon elec ign through the switch & ammeter properly, and see what you see. I'd also, as mentioned before, check that the switch is wired correctly for all the other gubbins.

A Reg 1s are reliable generally. I have swapped out zeners for A Reg 1s on several machines. The Podtronics boxes are also good, the Boyer too, but nowt wrong with the A Reg in my own cases anyway. And very good value.

My gut feeling is there is nothing much wrong apart from the wiring . . .
Agreed. In your initial post you say that you are seeing a 4 - 5 amp charge with everything turned on. A later post says that electronic ignition such as yours can be drawing up to 4 amps, which you say is currently not being routed through the ammeter. The ammeter is therefore only seeing half the equation, as it were, suggesting that the actual charge to the battery is between 0 (balanced) and 1 amp, which is fine.

Malc
leobailey

Post by leobailey »

I have attached a copy of the circuit I currently have on my G3. Does it help , or hinder

Leo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.