Silver Solder Fuel Tank

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

Silver Solder Fuel Tank

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Is silver solder a viable option for fabricating a fuel tank or is it a silly idea? Also has anyone experience of brazing with mapp gas?

Cheers, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Mick D

Re: Silver Solder Fuel Tank

Post by Mick D »

Hi Chris

I believe Mapp Gas burns slightly hotter than the propane I use, (via Seivert torches), when silver soldering, so yes I'm sure you could use it. However considering the size of a fuel tank you would probably have difficulty getting it sufficiently hot without introducing distortion. If you haven't already checked out the price of silver solder and flux, now might be a good time to do this and add that to the considerable quantity of Mapp gas required.

In an ideal world I'd get the tank TIGed, (as I don't yet have a TIG welder), or I'd use MIG.

Tinman's solder would work but I don't know the legality of this.

Have fun Mick
Martin.S

Re: Silver Solder Fuel Tank

Post by Martin.S »

If you look at the Norton Pre Featherbed Norton's you can see the 'Pie Crust' along the bottom of the tank, I believe these were soldered.
Norton Tank.JPG
I use Mapp gas all the time (found Tool Station for the best price + free delivery) but on thin material I find the flame with my nozzle to be too big and there's too much heat that's not local.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.