Cable I/D

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Martin.S

Cable I/D

Post by Martin.S »

Hi, I bought this cable a while ago - advertised as a clutch cable for the Lightweights, ready now to fit it and I realise it doesn't!
Can anyone identify it for me :- overall length 43 13/16", Inner - 41 1/2" including the 1/4" adjuster.
Clutch cable.jpg
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: Cable I/D

Post by ajscomboman »

No idea what the cable is for but can say that the clutch cable you're looking for will have a mid adjuster that will be located just behind the head light shroud not anywhere near the g/box end.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looks like an exhaust valve lifter cable to me. Note nipples, adjuster. Short length also looks about right.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Looks like an exhaust valve lifter cable to me. Note nipples, adjuster. Short length also looks about right.
Best get down spec savers Rob, looks nothing like a valve lifter cable, not even a crankcase type, it's way too long. At 43 " as has been stated I'd have to have a guess at a H/W clutch cable but without knowing the source that's all it is, a guess.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Looks like an exhaust valve lifter cable to me. Note nipples, adjuster. Short length also looks about right.
Best get down spec savers Rob, looks nothing like a valve lifter cable, not even a crankcase type, it's way too long. At 43 " as has been stated I'd have to have a guess at a H/W clutch cable but without knowing the source that's all it is, a guess.
Jampot spares clutch cables are 60" Rob, Amal state about the same, there's not many cables under 44 / 48 "
Its really the nipples and adjuster that suggested to me valve lifter Rob. Was not too sure about length. So I think the cable could be missing a loose barrel nipple to go on one end. Perhaps then it may be a G2 front brake cable. ? I would need to check my bikes.

No good me going to speck savers or Vision express any more Rob, I need surgery. NHS have funded me to have eye op's in a private hospital. Maybe it was because, when told I needed ops. I said. Not worth bothering is it? I'll just get added to the end of the list and stay there. Next thing I know I get an appointment to see a consultant, Monday I'm in for a pre op chat, Then two weeks later the ops start.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:
Jampot spares clutch cables are 60" Rob, Amal state about the same, there's not many cables under 44 / 48 "
Its really the nipples and adjuster that suggested to me valve lifter Rob. Was not too sure about length. So I think the cable could be missing a loose barrel nipple to go on one end. Perhaps then it may be a G2 front brake cable. ? I would need to check my bikes.

No good me going to speck savers or Vision express any more Rob, I need surgery. NHS have funded me to have eye op's in a private hospital. Maybe it was because, when told I needed ops. I said. Not worth bothering is it? I'll just get added to the end of the list and stay there. Next thing I know I get an appointment to see a consultant, Monday I'm in for a pre op chat, Then two weeks later the ops start.
Hope your op goes ok, I hate having anything done to my eyes. Always makes me cringe when they crank the lids open, yuck. Customer of mine has to have injections directly into his, even the thought is quite scary!
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Good luck with eye ops Rob, like Rob S I hate my eyes being messed with, as a toolmaker I was regular at A and E with something in my eye, I passed out once when having an object removed ...................that needle hovering so close ugh.

Hope all goes well Rob

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Getting off topic. I don't like even going to Docs. I kept away from them until I was about 75, when they almost insisted I came for an M o T. Then insisted I take B/Pressure tables. That was 4 years ago. I only took the tablets for a month after getting just about every side effect listed. Changing the brand and lower dose did not help.
Anyway, I do need to get my eyes fixed so I can see what this cable is. Also cut down dazzle night driving.
I was First Aider in a large wood working factory. Treated many people with dust in eyes etc. when doc's failed to see anything. I knew what colour bits to look for. Nothing I could do if on the sight part of the eye, so sent them to hospital with a picture where the bit was to be found. Usually it was something under the eye lid. I became an expert at rolling the eye lid on a Matchstick to get to the bit of dust etc. Which quite often was under the eye lid. They were often surprised and relieved, how easy and quickly and painlessly I removed the foreign body. There was one guy that used to get an eye lash grow out under his eye lid. Quite painful for him. He came to me once to see if I could plunk it out. I just said lets have a look. Then, that's it its gone now. He never when back to the eye clinic anymore to have the lash removed.
mick h

Post by mick h »

I was sent a cable that looks just the same as this from the parts scheme although inner cable is 43 and 3/4 inches in length. It was pt no t226 and should be a clutch cable for 52 and 53 singles and twins. My cable was 9 and 1/2 inches shorter than my original one and would not reach any where near the clutch lever area. My original cable total inner length was 53 and 3/16 inches with the outer casing measuring 49 an 1/4 inch. This being for a 1952 model with a burman b25 gearbox.