Oil leaks

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mikeydpippin

Oil leaks

Post by mikeydpippin »

So I don't flood the Horndean Technology college with oil I,m trying to stop some of the leaks I have had.
I now have a dry (oil free) rocker head, oil pipes flow and return connections.

Looking at replacing the o rings in the kickstart lever ( amc box) 040005 and the gearchange lever o ring 040006 I,ve found an o ring for ratchet spindle, what where is that and should I get one?
Also I will be replacing the chaincase rubber and band only a slight leak but every bit helps.
Bike went for a run this morning and so far only slight leak underneath, but by the morning I,m expecting the old girl to wet sump.
Not sure what I,m going to do With that one yet, as I don't like the idea of having to turn a tap on😱😱😱
Mike
clive

Re: Oil leaks

Post by clive »

Wet sumping overnight sounds pretty extreme. How bad is it? I would start with a new oil pump but it does sound as though the bore may be scored. Leaving the engine on compression reputedly slows it but i cannot understand why. With the twins it helps to leave the bike on the centre stand. May help with your bike.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Clive, hopefully it's my mis- diagnosis so far 12 hrs no oil leak showing.
Hopefully all the oil came from chaincase now this has been dismantled will get no wet sumping 🤞🤞
Mike
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

mikeydpippin wrote:I,ve found an o ring for ratchet spindle, what where is that and should I get one?
Hi Mike

This is part number 040079 and seals the ratchet shaft running inside of the foot change shaft - easy enough to assess if yours is leaking, (unlikely), before diving into the box.
AMC Change Mech.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Mick, and Clive,
Had a look this morning nearly 24hrs after stopping the engine and I've just a small 2” puddle of oil under the kickstart, and a small amount coming from the exhaust clamp, so the larger puddle of oil I had before must have been this and some oil from the primary chaincase, with the chaincase and band removed the oil leak hopefully has been proven.
Will see what happens over the next few days.
If I have wet sumping issues maybe I will look at fitting a compressor tap into the sump plug to drain, rather than get oil over floor of shed.
Mike