Insurance for a non registered 18cs

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
G15 Roy

Re: Insurance for a non registered 18cs

Post by G15 Roy »

There is little chance of you getting the original number back in 2 weeks unless
You have already started the V765 application system.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Excellent.
Presumably you are aware of how the Club can help with registration.
The critical part is having a document which shows both the reg'n number and the frame number (Buff log book, V5c, original Bill of Sale):

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp

(Post crossed with Dating Officer Roy's above).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Bobsteve

Post by Bobsteve »

Unfortunately my dad has lost all paperwork for the bike. He has owned it from 1962 when he bought it directly of AJS from the their stand at a 1962 bike show ? and he registered the plate 29GDM on it but we have no documentation to hand. I've asked the club about registration and they have no record of the frame or engine numbers 🤦‍♂️ with it being a cs they said. So it looks like I'll have to start from scratch ?
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Are there any old photos of the bike showing its registration. If so would likely add some useful information to the DVLA in attempting to obtain its original number. Good luck, I'll hopefully be travelling the same route soon with my ‘54 G80CS on a NOVA.

Iron Head
Bobsteve

Post by Bobsteve »

So I'm back guys. I did get insurance for the bike through Peter James which was straight forward and was needed as I stuck it in the back of my van and drove it to France to surprise my dad for his birthday. Now there is only one problem and that is there is an age limit with Peter James which is 75 which is ok for me but dad is 83 and wants to ride it as he's ridden the bike in France on private lanes and it all came flooding back to him as we all expected 😃. Now he's home he wants to get out on her properly.
So question is : Any one know of any guys riding on the road out there who are 75years old plus and possibly which insurers they use ? But of a long shot I know but here's the best place to start.

Steve Garside