Insurance for a non registered 18cs

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Bobsteve

Insurance for a non registered 18cs

Post by Bobsteve »

Hi all. I'm looking to get my 18cs insured but it's not DVLA registered yet. So you know of any companies that can insure a non registered bike? It had been registered many years ago and used on the road but nothing comes up when using the reg in DVLA vehicle finder site. Been in the family since new in 1962. I've fully restored the bike and need insurance until I can get it registered as I'm taking it abroad to surprise my father and with leaving in a couple of weeks and waiting in engine to return to put in bike so running out of time to do the paperwork etc. I'd hate for something to happen to it after spending an absolute fortune on it. Help needed guys n girls ?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Insurance for a non registered 18cs

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I think you can get it insured on the frame number.
Give Peter James Insurance a ring. They are very helpful and knowledgeable for classic bike insurance.
Presumably you want European cover, not Australia or Trumpsville.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

They will insure on a frame number. If you get a company that will not go elsewhere. I am using Footman James at the moment. I did ask about bikes not in use or registered, to be insured ADFT. ( Accidental Damage Fire & Theft ) They said cost is the same. So they may as well all be full compt.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Be careful with bikes I bits. Read your policy, most state the bike should be complete. I said what about if I am working on a bike. They said it would not be insured. As it is easier to steal a bike in bits. I said I could wheel a bike away quicker and easier than one in bits. They did not agree.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

My basket case G3 needed to be insured before the DVLA would give it an age related number. I had to send them a copy of the certificate (amongst other documents) as proof. My isurers issed a certificate based on the frame number which was acceptable. Once the new registration number had been issued, that number was transferred to the policy. All very easy and stress free thanks to the insurers who were well versed in the insuring of 'classic' bikes.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

you will find that you cant keep the bike permanently on the frame number . I was told 30 days maximum . actually took 4 years to restore
At least it was safe in the house
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

g80csp11 wrote:you will find that you cant keep the bike permanently on the frame number . I was told 30 days maximum . actually took 4 years to restore
At least it was safe in the house
Yes... I was was told a maximum of 30 days, too.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

There is no 30 day limit with peter james
les ward

Post by les ward »

I've had one insured for theft, with just the frame number, for over 10 years. First with Carole Nash, then with Peter James.
The 30 days limit might be the insurance for the road required by the DVLA to get a reg number.
Bobsteve

Post by Bobsteve »

Well guys. Thank you so much for all your great advice. I now have fully comp insurance from Peter James based just on the frame number 👍. Now to try get the original plate back on it from the DVLA 🤞