Help G5 Rear brake hub

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
seabright

Help G5 Rear brake hub

Post by seabright »

Having stripped the rear wheel I cannot see how to remove the rear brake drum, six round headed studs are showing, are these bolts with threads, does the hub screw off or do you prise it off Many thanks.
cbranni

Help G5 Rear brake hub

Post by cbranni »

My G5 had 6 reduced head hex bolts with nuts and washers, and parts book confirms this. Why you got round head bolts who knows, if I remember rightly they were 1/4 or maybe 5/16 dia bolts, just undo the nuts, remove the bolts and sprocket will be free. the reduced hex head is to clear the chain, but standard head will just about clear too, part numbers are as follows........
bolt 043292
nut 01184

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Martin.S

Re: Help G5 Rear brake hub

Post by Martin.S »

I know this is somewhat late but I wanted this answered too a little while back
To answer seabright's question - I have removed these dome headed rivets to no avail. I had the drum x rayed and the hub fits into the drum but not threaded - there was no way I could separate them - I've now distorted the aluminium outer cover so it's now scrap.
Now cbranni was of course talking about the bolts that fit the sprocket to the drum and not the drum to the hub.
Cheers
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thought the hub (brake plate and shoes complete) just fell out of the rear hub/sprocket assy once the centre nut and spindle has been removed. The sprocket bolts to the hub/brake drum and the bearings remain in the hub
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

No - the original post was how to remove the drum - nothing to do with the brake plate, brake shoes or indeed the sprocket - but how to remove the drum from the hub.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I think seabright may be confusing the design of the lightweight drum and hub with the heavyweights' bolt-on combined drum/sprocket.