1953 AJS Model 16M Rigid 350. New member hub assembly help.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Liam Gallacher

1953 AJS Model 16M Rigid 350. New member hub assembly help.

Post by Liam Gallacher »

Hello all,
My name is Liam Gallacher. I live in Alton Hampshire. I acquired last year a 1953 Model 16M rigid 350cc. I am just finishing a rebuild / refurb of the bike and have a problem identifying correct sequence of spacers etc.. on both front and rear hubs. I have a full width hub to the front and an old style (sorry not sure of correct name) rear hub.
I sent the wheels to be rebuilt and the company that did it kindly dis-assembled them and handed me back a box of spacers washers etc.. all mixed together.
I think I have identified which are for which hub but cannot find a schematic that matches my parts.
I have looked at the AJS manuals for 1953, 1954 and later but they show parts that do not match my parts (or hubs). I have searched this form but cannot find what I need. Does anyone have any photos of correct sequence? Or does ayone know anyone who can assist?
Any help much appreciated, I want to finish this bike and get riding!
Cheers in advance,
Liam Gallacher.
P.S. Does anyone reproduce the pressed bras AJS tank badges?, also, anyone in Hampshire who can do tank lining / decals without putting me in the poor house?
Rob Harknett

Re: 1953 AJS Model 16M Rigid 350. New member hub assembly he

Post by Rob Harknett »

It would appear you have the wrong front hub. Which could be the one year only 1954 square fin profile type, or 55 onwards with rounded fin profile. Checking the two parts list pictures will clearly show the difference between these hubs. Look here. www.archives.jampot.dk here you will find parts list's for all years to compare parts. Having satisfied yourself re- what parts you have or should have, you will note workshop manuals and instruction books used old art work. So pictures may not be correct. The text should be, although there were a few errors, which the experts will advise you of when you come up against them. In the archives you may also find this Technical section for wheels of interest http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Wheels_and_brakes/
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Liam.
The Hants section are running a camping rally next weekend 22nd and 23rd at The West Meon Hut pub. They're a friendly bunch and if you take your wheels and bits there I'm sure they'll be more than able to assist you over a pint. ;)
If you wish, contact the rally organiser, Ian Farrington on 07584 024800.
A Hants section member may live near you to offer help sooner.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Liam, if you get the time you are just down the road from both the Wey Valley and Hampshire meeting places, they both meet this week I should be at both of them, Wey Valley has a relatively small attendance compared to Hampshire but both are informal gatherings if you can make one or the other it would be worth a visit don't wait until you are finished.

Unfortunately I cant help with the paintwork but these may be the badges that you seek http://www.jampot-spares.com/store/come ... duct=22973 .

In the mean time have a look at http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf page 123 for the bearing arrangements there is one error in the workshop manuals that show the rubber oil seal inside the cup on the speedo side when in fact it goes on the outside. Use this picture as your guide http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=820 .
Liam Gallacher

Post by Liam Gallacher »

Hi Guys, thanks so much for your swift responses. I will come down to the Wey Valley on Tuesday and bring my hubs and wheels. Hopefully somebody will shed some light into sequence of assembly. Cheers, Liam.

Rob, You are right, I think my front hub is from a 1954 model. You mention square fin vs round fin, does that refer to the strengthening fins inside hub?

Spiddler, thanks, I will contact Ian Frayling and come down on Thursday to the West Meon Hut also.

Duncan, Thanks, Those are the badges I was looking for. I will hopefully see you on Tuesday or Thursday.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Liam Gallacher wrote: Rob, You are right, I think my front hub is from a 1954 model. You mention square fin vs round fin, does that refer to the strengthening fins inside hub?
I think Rob is referring to the external hub/ribs profile.
Here's my '54 hub.......
1954 front hub 009.JPG
1954 front hub 011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Liam Gallacher

Post by Liam Gallacher »

Thanks for the photos Spriddler. My hub looks similar. I would post photos but haven't worked out how yet! There is a serial number inside front hub: 21157. Can't find that part number in any spares list as yet.
Cheers, Liam,
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If that number is cast in the hub it's likely to be the raw casting number, not a part number. ;)

In the FAQ's there are instructions for one way of posting a photo:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8894
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Liam Gallacher wrote:Thanks for the photos Spriddler. My hub looks similar. I would post photos but haven't worked out how yet! There is a serial number inside front hub: 21157. Can't find that part number in any spares list as yet.
Cheers, Liam,
You would need a 6 digit number 021157 perhaps. It is close to 021155, the 54 hub. Now here's my guess 021157 was the hub having under gone a slight modification late 54. Just before they switched to the 55 type. 021157 coming far too late for mention in the 54 parts list. The by 55 when a new parts list came along, it was no longer in use. It may have been mentioned in Service notes. I cannot find one, but could be something like this http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ser ... o6_no7.pdf This came late in 54, so there may be no mention of it in a parts list until 55, if still continued.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In the '54 Spares List the hub is shown with a similar part number, 021155.......
1954 Front hub parts (640x184).jpg
The 1954 Spares List is here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf

The 1953 front hub is shown as 018046.......
1953 front wheel parts (640x212).jpg
1953 Spares List here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.