Tank sealent

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Group Leader

Tank sealent

Post by Group Leader »

I know there are many horror stories regarding tank sealent but my AJ came with its tank sealed and it seems pretty good to me. It seems to be a hard, epoxy like, substance does anyone recognise it please? I have a BSA tank that, although it appears sound, I think it would benefit from similar sealing once the internal surface rust has been stabilised.

TIA

Alan
Tank Sealent.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
cbranni

Re: Tank sealent

Post by cbranni »

Hello Alan, it looks very similar to Flowliner in colour as sold by C Wyldes in Leeds.

https://www.cwylde.co.uk/flowliner-tank-coatings/

I used it on a fibreglass tank four years ago and it's still fine.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Thanks Colin, a couple of questions if I may.

Is it difficult to ensure you get coverage absolutely everywhere?

What are the approximate working and curing times of the epoxy?

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i use carswell sealant , it is more clear than in your photo though , maybe you have something from tankcarproducts.uk in there .

i did mine on a hot day in summer , the epoxy was quite thick and i had to rotate tank every few minutes to different positions and let the liquid flow , this took about an hour or more to cover the internal surface of tank .
then you tun it upside down and allow any excess to drip out of filler .

mine started to set after a bit more than an hour but i then left it 2 weeks before i put any petrol in , just to make double sure it was all nice and dry etc .

with tankcareproducts i think they do the sealant which you can stick in a microwave to heat up and then makes it runny and easy to apply to tank internal .

after 2 years of having petrol in my tank is ok so far but i dont know how long the process will last for over the years to come .

ian
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

g5wqian wrote:maybe you have something from tankcarproducts.uk in there
Ian I think you maybe correct having watched his "How to do it" videos on the website. Whilst I can't comment on the precise colour it does have the appearance of the material in my tank so I think I might give that one a go when the time comes.

Thanks once again chaps for the helpful advice.

Alan
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I have only used Flowliner once because it was to seal a fibreglass tank on my Triton all my steel tanks that need sealing I have used POR 15 from Frost, you can buy a kit to clean, protect and seal the tank.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow