1955 AJS 500 Twin

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
R_Nairtvm

Re: 1955 AJS 500 Twin

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Hello,

You may remember that my bike has the wrong kind of rear hub and hence its wrong in that sense

I have been trying locate the correct one for a while and have been able to do so now. Can the experts here have a look at the pictures attached and let me know what you think of these? Do you feel it is the right specification ? Condition etc, I think I can depend on the person who is sourcing it for me.

Best Regards, Thanks and Ride Safe

Ram
clive

Post by clive »

That certainly looks like the 55 only Qd hub. At least some of the spokes are knackered so it means a rebuild. There may be some damage to the plainer side of the hub. Hard to tell. You will also need the sprocket and dummy rear spindle. Be aware that the pins wear both themselves and the sprocket. Russel motors were selling factory made oversize bolts and collars which enable you to keep using the sprocket with a little filing to return the holes to round.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks Clive,

I am pretty certain, its a rebuilt one - it may even be from my bike :)

I did ask my original restorer (who is arranging this) about the possible damages on the plainer side. He was of the view that it looks rather minor, but check it in person before he buys it for me.

Where do you think is the best bet for the correct sprocket? Pardon my ignorence, what's "dummy rear spindle"?

Contacts for Russel Motors please, if you have

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

clive wrote:That certainly looks like the 55 only Qd hub. At least some of the spokes are knackered so it means a rebuild. There may be some damage to the plainer side of the hub. Hard to tell. You will also need the sprocket and dummy rear spindle. Be aware that the pins wear both themselves and the sprocket. Russel motors were selling factory made oversize bolts and collars which enable you to keep using the sprocket with a little filing to return the holes to round.
R_Nairtvm

Brightspark capacitor/condensor

Post by R_Nairtvm »

I was having some minor issues with my Magneto (irregular current as per my mechanic), which hopefully have now been resolved. The repairs have been done using some better quality condensor and Capacitor from the market.

Is it worth going for Brightspark capacitor/condensor?

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I found the Brightspark item very good, fitted to the SR1 magneto on my G80S.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

Try the Internet for contact details for Russel Motors, falcon road London. Be aware Les does not do email, only fax and phone calls. The oversize pins come in a number of sizes I believe which may be an issue.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As the bike has a few wrong parts, I would not have bothered about the wheels. Its 54 at the front & pre 55 at the back. You will need more than just the wheel to change the rear wheel. Perhaps new bearings etc, spindle and spacers etc plus all brake parts. If the bike is 55, it may have even left the factory fitted with a pair of 54 wheels.
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks Clive.

I am going to wait till I get all required bits together and then see how to match them up. I have couple of biking buddies from India currently on UK assignments, who can coordinate with Russel Motors.
clive wrote:Try the Internet for contact details for Russel Motors, falcon road London. Be aware Les does not do email, only fax and phone calls. The oversize pins come in a number of sizes I believe which may be an issue.
Thanks Rob.

The bike is definitely a 1955 model, established by the Battery Box & Oil Tank fittings (as pointed out by you). So I would like to get it as close as possible to original, as I have ample time to tinker around as I have "retired". Yes I am aware of the requirement list of parts. Some of them are available in various places in India itself (thanks to those catering to "export to UK" :) and all that )
Rob Harknett wrote:As the bike has a few wrong parts, I would not have bothered about the wheels. Its 54 at the front & pre 55 at the back. You will need more than just the wheel to change the rear wheel. Perhaps new bearings etc, spindle and spacers etc plus all brake parts. If the bike is 55, it may have even left the factory fitted with a pair of 54 wheels.
Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

I got the wheel I had posted about.

Am now in the process of rebuilding it. Getting bits and peices of the parts required for it. Rajesh Nair who is on this forum, is rebuilding it for me. Got the right sprocket, and have identified the source for spindle, half spindle etc. Rebuild hopefully will happen soon.

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram

R_Nairtvm wrote:Hello,

You may remember that my bike has the wrong kind of rear hub and hence its wrong in that sense

I have been trying locate the correct one for a while and have been able to do so now. Can the experts here have a look at the pictures attached and let me know what you think of these? Do you feel it is the right specification ? Condition etc, I think I can depend on the person who is sourcing it for me.
Vollgas

Post by Vollgas »

Rob Harknett wrote:The book is correct, but you marked the place you thought the stand fitted on the rigid type rear frame, wrong rear frame also wrong place for the stand. I have marked parts of the frame you have, which has separate front rails and swinging arm.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.15_14h43m12s_001_.png
Hello Rob, my name is timo and i'm currently
restoring a matchless g9 year of construction 1954. i bought the motorcycle in individual parts. So I need help building the frame together. Have seen you have a guide where the parts are shown. It would be nice of you if you would send me the link of this manual. I'm starting to despair which screws I need. Since I miss almost everyone.
Greetings Timo