Cylinder head removal

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Steve S

Cylinder head removal

Post by Steve S »

Decided to remove the head to change the gasket in the hope of curing my top end oil leak, but got stopped when the inlet valve spring hit the frame preventing the head being lifted off.

I tried all manner of angles to pull it, but it appears I'm 5 or 6 mm in need of further clearance.

Surely you don't need to remove the spring?

Does the engine need to be dropped in the frame?

Where am I going wrong?

Steve S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Cylinder head removal

Post by Rob Harknett »

Seems you have managed to get all the bolts out, if not get them out. You can then move the head more to get it off. You should not have to remove the springs, I'm sure you not be able to get them back on again. Ah I think I see the bolts are not all out, wriggle them out and the head should move about more to get it off.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I wonder if you have a 250cc frame, there is a difference in the length of the front down tube, 350 is inch longer at 7 3/4 inches the 250 is 6 3/4 inches.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

cbranni wrote:I wonder if you have a 250cc frame, there is a difference in the length of the front down tube, 350 is inch longer at 7 3/4 inches the 250 is 6 3/4 inches.

Colin
Measuring the front down tube between the welded shoulders is 6 3/4 inches. This would also explain why there is insufficient room for a rocker box stay, Steve S.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Got it off by removing the valve spring. Now new gasket and re-assembly, Steve S.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

cbranni wrote:I wonder if you have a 250cc frame, there is a difference in the length of the front down tube, 350 is inch longer at 7 3/4 inches the 250 is 6 3/4 inches.

Colin
Reckon that's the answer, mine lifts off no problem
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

somethings not right, but at least you can move on
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Managed to re-fit the head and rocker box and fired her up today. Short run proved no head oil leak as before.

The photo shows just how limited the clearance is. I'm resigned to learning my bike is a complete bitsa, 350 engine, 250 frame, wrong tinware.

On the plus side, I've taken off the NOS rear shocks which were correct for a 350 and refitted the original ones which means my centre stand now works without a plank of wood!

Steve S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I gather then you don't have the head steady bracket?
Top Mount3.jpg
- it wouldn't fit any how! - you could make one to fit though.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Martin.S wrote: it wouldn't fit any how! - you could make one to fit though.
A fabricated "L" shapped one like the heavyweights use may be an eaiser to fit option.