Our G2 finally sorted

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Richard Hyatt

Our G2 finally sorted

Post by Richard Hyatt »

For all of you who have kindly provided thoughts , ideas and technical tips our thanks indeed.

It's running nicely and seems to be working well , a couple of teething hiccups to sort, but that is to be expected.

I'm amazed at how well it starts and what a lovely sound/bark from the exhaust.

Brakes are bedding in and head gasket to be retightened sometime soon.

Perhaps some reverse advice for your 12 volt conversions , I used a Chinese £2.99 free post from China regulator and rectifier. What a doddle and nice stable charge now.

Anyway , to everyone who contributed, thanks.
cbranni

Re: Our G2 finally sorted

Post by cbranni »

That is good news Richard.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
shifter

Post by shifter »

That's champion another 250 saved
?
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Well done, Richard! You get a medal for perseverance. Glad it's finally happy & sorted :D

PS: what was the issue with the oil return? Did you find out what was causing the restriction?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Richard Hyatt

Post by Richard Hyatt »

As you may know we've rebuilt the entire lubrication system, pump , pin etc.
The culprit on the return side , causing wet sumping , breathing etc was the short oil filter.
We'd washed it a million times and blown air through it , but without it there was a lovely dry sump and good scavenging.
With it , even with correct "top hat" buttons at either end , it slowed the return up drastically.
So we've pulled the felt out for the moment and just relying on the perforated tube to coarsely filter any bits.
The oil will be changed regularly anyway and we use sae 50
Cheers
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Richard Hyatt wrote:As you may know we've rebuilt the entire lubrication system, pump , pin etc.
The culprit on the return side , causing wet sumping , breathing etc was the short oil filter.
We'd washed it a million times and blown air through it , but without it there was a lovely dry sump and good scavenging.
With it , even with correct "top hat" buttons at either end , it slowed the return up drastically.
So we've pulled the felt out for the moment and just relying on the perforated tube to coarsely filter any bits.
The oil will be changed regularly anyway and we use sae 50
Cheers
Top hat buttons? Shouldn't that be button as there is only one, the other end being a shouldered cup washer.
Richard Hyatt

Post by Richard Hyatt »

Sorry my description wasn't too clever
There is 1 cup at the bottom with a hole in the centre allowing the oil up into the core of the filter and a cup with the spring and the scew in plug.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Richard Hyatt wrote:Sorry my description wasn't too clever
There is 1 cup at the bottom with a hole in the centre allowing the oil up into the core of the filter and a cup with the spring and the scew in plug.
Spot on.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Richard Hyatt wrote:With it , even with correct "top hat" buttons at either end , it slowed the return up drastically.
Hi

Do you have any photos of the filter assembly before removal of the felt? Is this another case of a pattern filter being unfit for purpose or just symptomatic of the oil pump's marginal performance?

Regards Mick
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I see the club spares now have listed the 350 long fine mesh filter - I presume this is not as good as the felt but better than none at all