Success!

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
mjf65

Success!

Post by mjf65 »

After finding the enthusiasm to clean the fuel tank out only to discover that the fuel taps leaked was disappointing as I was looking forward to trying to get my 650 running, but a trip to Stafford show yesterday provided the necessary cork & dowty seals to make things fuel tight. On return from work this evening a bit of fuel was added, then the oil and yes she fired on the third kick! I don't really know the correct starting procedure with the air and advance levers (hopefully someone can advise?) but trial and error plus messing around with the adjuster screw and we had a reliable ticker and a good flow of oil returning to the tank. All I need now is a battery and we can check out the electrical system and get on the Queens highway.
Rob Harknett

Re: Success!

Post by Rob Harknett »

Driving and instruction books tell you how to start your bike. Try setting set the AR lever mid way to start. If it kicks back, retard a little more until does not kick back and starts easy. If you get no kick back you may need to advance the lever a little. No two bikes act the same, it may depend on other settings being slightly different. Like points gap. Let the bike warm up and start to advancing the lever. When fully warmed up run with the lever fully advanced
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mine needs the A/R lever about half way back, full choke, tickle the carb until fuel comes out of the tickler, and no throttle at all. This is for a cold start. As Rob says, they all have their own preferences and, er, personality. You will soon find what works best.

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

They do indeed. I could never seem to start one on my twins. I eventually discovered. Flood the carb as with all bikes. Hardly ever use air slide. But this twin was different. I found if I gave it a kick fully advanced, it would fire and kick back. It would then fire up retarded and run. Trying first to start it retarded and it would not fire. Seems it wanted a shot to clear its throat first.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mine's like that Rob. Perhaps I've got your old bike?

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

They always start best when no-one's watching.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bob121

Post by bob121 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:They always start best when no-one's watching.
Sooooo true