Model 8 help and advice

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
horsefodder

Model 8 help and advice

Post by horsefodder »

Hello all, I am new to the world of AJS and have just bought my first one, its a one owner from new 1960 model 8, it suffered a damaged con rod in 1965 and was put in storage, the engine has been carefully stripped and left in pieces, I live on the Berkshire Oxfordshire boarder, is there anyone local that could advise me on rebuilding it, I have worked on lots of bike engines over the years just not one of these, I read in the manual that one of the main bearings should be replaced for a roller bearing, does anyone have a part no for it, ive ordered a rod and gaskets, so I think If I get the bearing I should be ready to go, any help/advice would be great, many thanks Bruce (I wanted a G9 but my bank manager said no!) lol
Martin.S

Re: Model 8 help and advice

Post by Martin.S »

I believe it's LRJ7/8 Imperial Cylindrical Roller. The club spares sell one at £89, although I did eventually find a new old stock C3 fit on Ebay for £30.
horsefodder

Post by horsefodder »

Hi Martin, thanks for that, I need to get joined as I will need advice putting it back together, ive done loads of triumphs and bsa's over the years but never an AJS, regards Bruce
horsefodder

Post by horsefodder »

Hi Martin, any reason for the C3, does it need that much clearance?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

One of the two bearings (the inner one nearest the crank)on the LH side of the crank has been modified by the use of a roller bearing which has a removable track which makes fitted the crank a ton easier. The outer bearing then the breather stator and finally the outer track of the roller bearing are fitted into the casing and then the roller part of the inner bearing is just pushed on the crank (and yes it is just a push fit on the crank!!) I think the part numbers are 012542 for the ball bearing and 012543 for the roller bearing. Search here on the G5 model 8 page or the G2 model 14 page and you will find all you need to know about thees engines and their rebuilds
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

any reason for the C3, does it need that much clearance?
No reason other than it was a lot cheaper than the club and of a known quality.