Twin leading brake

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bob121

Twin leading brake

Post by bob121 »

Is there a twin leading brake plate that drops straight into the m31/g12 front hub. Mine is a 1960 model.
ajscomboman

Re: Twin leading brake

Post by ajscomboman »

Simple answer, Nope!
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Okey dokey. That sorts that out.
clive

Post by clive »

Is that a teledraulic fork. I have a Suzuki T500 front brake from the 80s. Its twin leading shoe brake with double the width of the brake shoes. In my case the alterations needed were the welding of stud into the bracket which previously engaged in the Suzuki stanchion. This then allowed a slightly altered brake arm to be fitted. A spacer and an altered brake cable complete the change. The hub is not unlike the AMC hub. The difference in the performance is worth the effort.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote:Is that a teledraulic fork. I have a Suzuki T500 front brake from the 80s. Its twin leading shoe brake with double the width of the brake shoes. In my case the alterations needed were the welding of stud into the bracket which previously engaged in the Suzuki stanchion. This then allowed a slightly altered brake arm to be fitted. A spacer and an altered brake cable complete the change. The hub is not unlike the AMC hub. The difference in the performance is worth the effort.
Now come on Superintendent! Where and how does that comply with dropping straight in! :rofl: :rofl:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have a mod 14 CSR AJS with a complete Suzuki front wheel. The bike came to me with it fitted. I'm sure that did not just drop straight in. There would surely be mods for anchor and cable / cable fittings. I have never looked to see how it differs from one of my light weights that has the correct wheel fitted.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

It's ok. The std plate will stand for a modification. I just thought I'd ask the question before going down that road. No point messing about if something would drop straight in.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

A member a few years ago used to offer a service to modify your standard brake plate, making it twin leading shoe. I think his name was Dagger. Ex chairman Malcolm has one on his CSR.
Dave.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Bob, I believe that a few 2LS brakeplates were cast and machined privately by a person unknown some years ago, but all went a long time ago. If you look on the club website photos (I do not know how to post links on my iPad) under pictures/bikes/classic road machines/TLS front brake you will see a very professionally made 2LS conversion to the standard AMC 7 in front brake by a member called Poul. The brakeplate work looks difficult but 'do able' on a lathe and milling machine, but the machining of the cam is brilliant but looks extremely difficult. I am currently working on fitting a Honda CB 250/350 2LS brakeplate (180mm) into a '55 on AMC hub, but it isn't that simple - will report progress in due course. I have just completed work on fitting a BSA single sided 8 in hub into teledraulic forks (needs new axle making) as they were reckoned to be one of the better brakes of their era. PM me for details. Andy
clive

Post by clive »

ajscomboman wrote:
clive wrote: .......The difference in the performance is worth the effort.
Now come on Superintendent! Where and how does that comply with dropping straight in! :rofl: :rofl:
I am not sure I suggested it would just drop in but I could be wrong :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix