Alternator mounting studs (1964 N15CS)

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
jack clegg

Alternator mounting studs (1964 N15CS)

Post by jack clegg »

Alternator has packed up. Upon dismantling, I find that the three mounting studs are 3/16ths & the holes in the stator are 1/4 inch. Are these studs correct? I expected to find 1/4 inch shouldered studs which would fit the stator holes snugly. Is this a previous owners bodge to get some adjustment in the stator/rotor air gap?
John Marshall
robcurrie

Re: Alternator mounting studs (1964 N15CS)

Post by robcurrie »

The stator is located by it's outer diameter in a recess in the primary drive cover. This cover in turn is located by two dowel pins.

Rob C
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jack clegg wrote:Alternator has packed up. Upon dismantling, I find that the three mounting studs are 3/16ths & the holes in the stator are 1/4 inch. Are these studs correct? I expected to find 1/4 inch shouldered studs which would fit the stator holes snugly. Is this a previous owners bodge to get some adjustment in the stator/rotor air gap?
Nope not a bodge. On the later models the reduced studs were used to allow the air gap to be set.
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Thanks you Gents. So I presume it's tape round the rotor, fit outer case with stator nipped up, hope rotor centralises stator, remove case & fully tighten stator?
John Marshall
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jack clegg wrote:Thanks you Gents. So I presume it's tape round the rotor, fit outer case with stator nipped up, hope rotor centralises stator, remove case & fully tighten stator?
Yep that's how I centralise mine.