Girder forks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
matchless

Girder forks

Post by matchless »

Hi, I am looking for a set of Girder forks to fit a 1940 AJS 26T. When looking on ebay I note there are plenty of Indian made Girders to suit Triumph / Norton / Ariel and Enfield (Etc) but none recommended for AJS. Has anyone been successful in fitting any of these, Indian made, Girders to a 1940's 350 AJS? I believe Teledraulic forks were fitted to all 350's from 1940, even though the catalogue shows Girders, should I consider fitting Teles?
dave16mct

Re: Girder forks

Post by dave16mct »

Saw these on ebay:
If it was me I'd fit WD telescopic forks. It depends how original you want the bike and if you're going to ride it much. Once you've got it on the road you could keep an eye out for the correct ones. It's a rare bike.
Dave
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am not aware of there being a 1940 model 26T AJS. ( Compt model )
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... _Bikes.pdf
First you need to discover what model you have really got. 1940 Mod 26, 26 L or 26 H. See above parts lists.
40/26L had 1939 type girders, 40/26 had 1940 type girders, 40/26 H had heavy weight front wheel and forks and special front frame portion. (L = light. H = heavy )
AJS never had teles until post war. Matchless WD G3L had teles from 1941 onwards.
Matchless 1939 G3 & 1940 G3WO girders may fit 26L or 26. If you have a 26 H frame your choice is limited to heavy girders and front wheel. If you go for teles, should they fit, you will also need a front wheel to suit the teles. If you wish, send me your bike details to prewar@jampot.com quoting full frame and engine numbers have a rear half frame number. it will be found on the right hand side, on the flat, where the rear frame bolts onto the front frame. This is a position that does suffer damage caused by washers, nuts and rust. If only the first 2 digits are clear that would help. A picture of both sides of the bike may help. I do fear, getting girders, may only leave you the option of Repro made in India WD matchless girders. Or if you have girders fitted, get them repaired. Just noticed Dave has suggested teles, which may be an option but also leaves you to get a wheel to suit. Do you have a speedo, they do not come cheap. Also the front wheel speedo drives.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Couple of interesting articles in the archives if you haven't seen them.
This one from 1942 discusses the Pros and Cons of the 'new' Teledraulic forks:

http://archives.jampot.dk/editorial/War ... e_fork.pdf

and this 1940 road test of the WD bike with girder forks:

http://archives.jampot.dk/editorial/War ... h_1940.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
matchless

Post by matchless »

Thanks Guys, I will do some more research and get back to Rob with some photos. At present the bike is in pieces and the frame is in the back of the shed and may take a bit to get it out for photos. I confirm the engine is stamped 40/26T and looks to be original markings. The exhaust is the hi level 1-3/4" and the rocker cover has the two inspection caps on top. The petrol tank is from a road bike with instrument panel, so I am looking for an original 2gal type. I have not found a listing for a 26T in 1940, but then again these listings were for the UK market. It could be this model was requested by one of the Australian distributors?
Regards..............David
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... alogue.pdf
Have a look at the above 1939 AJS sales cat. David. Se the 1939 26T. I have a feeling your bike would be as the 1939 26T. If you enlarge the picture of the bike in the sales cat. You will see it does not have 1939 forks, with the cast cup on the top fork spindle. It has the 1938 type forks, 1938 was a one off year. As in July 1937 a speedo was required here by law. That was right at the end of the 37 model year ending Aug 31st. 1938 forks had two cast on the top link, threaded points, onto which was bolted a T bracket the speedo fitted on to. I would not question the fact the bike engine being stamped 26T. There must have been a few 1940 models on the production line just prior to the outbreak of WW2 in 1939.
38 26 e.jpg
If you blow this picture up, you will see one of the speedo bracket bolt heads, on my 38/26. Being a one year fork only they are quite rare, I am sure these would be the forks you need. You have more chance of finding in Au than here in GB. As here any bike usable for the war effort was used. Or taken for scrap. My bike was. It was put to use on a USA bomber airfield here. When I got it, it had an ammeter in it " Made in USA " Your engine type was introduced in 1939. If you look at the two rocker box inspection caps, you can see what cap was used. Look at the oil tank, the same cap holds in the oil tank filter. So if anyone with this type AMC of engine is missing the rocker box inspection caps. Which someone was recently, and asked club spares if they stocked them, only to be told no. I then said, ask for the oil tank cap, by its new pt. no. 000795 ( old part no. STD 795 ) They have repro's in stock. The caps cork washer will be 000583 ( old pt no. STD 583 )
Just looked cap and cork washer still in stock at club spares. You could at least need 3 new washers, 1 for oil tank 2 rocker cap. But don't forget to order by new part number and refer to all as oil tank filter cap & washer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matchless

Post by matchless »

1940 Buyers guide.pdf
Hi, I note the 40/26T and the 40/22T are listed in the buyer's guide.
Engine No.jpg
The crank cases have been soda blasted to retain a natural look. Eng No. 40/26T 10195
Frame.jpg
The frame is stored in the shed and has not yet been restored. Frame No. 781 (from my records).

Regards.............David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It does appear it was intended to produced the 26T model Dave and production had started Sept 1st 1939. ( I thought may have been so ) The outbreak of WW2 changed all that. No literature I am aware of was published for 1940. No AJS Parts list, Instruction Book and Sales cat. Except the 1940 " impressed " AJS parts list published January 1940. In which the mod 26T is not listed. 26 & 26 L & H were listed, the L & H models using non standard 26 parts to use up stock parts. Which included an altered front frame portion to take the heavy forks. There was a sales leaflet which was really just AJS 1940 that would be available to the public. This was from the AJS range published in The Motor Cycle February 1940. Clearly, War stopped all intentions of the AJS range as being that which was published in Motor Cycle December 1939. Notice the frame and engine numbers in that parts list Dave. Your frame is early, the impressed model 8 frame numbers start at 8** So your frame must have been made prior to all the impressed AJS model frames. Your engine number is higher than all the impressed AJS engine numbers. This does suggest, your bike was made up using odd parts that were in stock. Perhaps you have a frame intended for a 500, so would have had the heavy forks. I'm sure you mentioned something about your frame engine cradle appeared non standard. Perhaps you should hold back your project and try to discover what you need to get your bike built. Contact other owners perhaps to get some feedback that may help. If you are not in the prewar e group, this will be the place where others may be, that could offer their thoughts. Inc. India built girders and the fitting of teles as an option. I will activate the e group website to send your e mail address, an invite to join the group, this will cut out some of the application to join procedure.