AMAL Carb

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dada

AMAL Carb

Post by dada »

Hi,

My Bike G2 is fitted with Amal Carb 376, I got a kit of Amal 375 by mistake do parts all fix as needle seems longer or 376

What are main difference between them.

Regards
dave16mct

Re: AMAL Carb

Post by dave16mct »

The 375 is a smaller carb for Bantams etc. Slide is narrower, needle is shorter. You will have to see your handbook/manual for the carb jets etc then order from Amal. You may be able to send the 375 kit back?
Cheers Dave.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

As I understand it needles are different for lengths for different carb series . ( assuming we are talking about the main throttle needle and not the float cut off needle ) . There should be a very small letter stamped somewhere on the top of the needle. "B" for 375 ,"C" for 376 , an "D" for 389 s. So you need a "C" needle If you look on he amal carb web site it shows this . There is also some information somewhere on the web giving the measurements of each if you do a bit of a search. Can't remember where but I did find it not too long ago when looking for the same information as yourself . Cheers .
dada

Post by dada »

All other parts fitted perfectly apart from needle. What do you think shall we try to start the bike ?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

No , if you do it will run very rich with the shorter needle. Get the correct jets, slide and needle.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If you're impatient to get the engine running after rebuild (I would be) why not use the needle that was already in the carb when you were previously trying to start it? (Assuming it was the correct needle). The needle is unlikely to have worn so much that it prevents the engine from running. You can fit the new one when it arrives.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dada wrote:All other parts fitted perfectly apart from needle. What do you think shall we try to start the bike ?
Parts may all fit but not be correct.
dada

Post by dada »

needle left the old long one main jet is the same some put in new one, even seals and everything seems the same.

Put in some petrol tried starting but still in vain
Richard Hyatt

Post by Richard Hyatt »

I think it should be a 376/99
With a 180 main , 3 and 1/2 slide and needle in central notch.

So if you have a 375 it's a shade small bore for the bike , but it should still start.

Have you ever had it running ? In your ownership ?
If not you have multiple unknowns , spark , fuel , compression.
Have you verified these?
dada

Post by dada »

Attached Picture of the carb number

I bought bike off ebay in my ownership all in pieces worked had on engine to get it rebuild and fixed on frame.

Piston seems good compression when you kickstart it. Spark there is

Fuel I think is the problem rebuild the carb but got the kit of 375 left the needle of what it had as longer seals and main jet are the same.

Carb had some missing parts like float piston and jet.

Any assistance will be great maybe we get it started at least
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.