Timing side oil

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Goss

Timing side oil

Post by Goss »

Can any one tell me how much oil collects in the timing side does it fill right up if not what will cause
it to over fill and can you get a gaket for the cover please.
Tom
56G80S

Re: Timing side oil

Post by 56G80S »

Don't know what model you are referring to but I had a problem with the core plug over the inlet can end coming loose and that resulted in oil in the mag chain cover; easily fixed. OR are you referring to the timing chest itself?

Johnny B
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Johnny, the query has been posted in the Model 31 section, so I'm guessing the model is a Model 31/G12? ;)

Malc
Goss

Post by Goss »

Hi Johnny
1961 G12 I just rebuilt the engine and kick it over for the first time, i never had the Dynamo in place at the time and there seemed to be a lot of oil coming out of the hole the Dynamo fits in,
I know some oil must be there to lubricate timing side gears but how much I don't want to put the Dynamo in in case it gets full of oil
Tom
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

According to the manual: "Overspill from the camshaft tunnels causes oil to build up in the timing side crankcase, lubricating the train of gears. A pre-determined oil level hole in the crankcase wall keeps the oil level constant.".

So if the oil level is excessive could either the oil pump have been assembled incorrect, as can be done, with the feed side providing oil faster than the scavenge side can deal with, or could the oil level hole be blocked?

Malc
Goss

Post by Goss »

Cheers Maic, will check that out

Post by 1608 »

One other consideration, the PRV ( which is close by )will let-by when the engine/oil is cold and it does exit with a lot of pressure. The oil seal in the dynamo should prevent any ingress anyway.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Malc

Sorry, I picked it up on the "Active Topics" drop down so had no idea that it was posted in a specific model element of the Forum.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

Goss wrote:Hi Johnny
1961 G12 I just rebuilt the engine and kick it over for the first time, i never had the Dynamo in place at the time and there seemed to be a lot of oil coming out of the hole the Dynamo fits in,
I know some oil must be there to lubricate timing side gears but how much I don't want to put the Dynamo in in case it gets full of oil
Tom
Without a dynamo there oil will come out. The cases are under pressure from the air vented when the pistons go down. When the dynamo is in place this will vent out of the pressure relief valve on the other end of the crankshaft in the primary chaincase. Unless the 61 G12 is different to the earlier twins.....
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The timing side can't fill with oil anyway as there is a 5/16 drain hole drilled into the crankcase for the oil to drain back into the sump. I doubt there is any problem at all.