G80 Steering feels vague

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
SPRIDDLER

Re: G80 Steering feels vague

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote: .........I'm well aware which end of the scale I fall into ....
The reinforced end?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
ajscomboman wrote: .........I'm well aware which end of the scale I fall into ....
The reinforced end?
Sadly!! :cry: :cry:
G80RIGID

Post by G80RIGID »

Many thanks for all your replies; I have spent today going through all the possibles mentioned and double-checking everything !! I have the steering adjusted absolutely fine albeit the adjusting nut is still very tight to get it to this state ( this remains a mystery !).

I have, however, found the cause of the problems, rectified it through trial and error, and road tested the bike - SORTED !! :D :D :D

There was too much play in the wheel bearings - and the rear was the worst. I remember the workshop manual stating that the correct amount of play could be achieved by tightening up the adjusting rings fully and then backing off half a turn. I have tightened them both up approx. a quarter of a turn (from this position) and this has significantly reduced the amount of movement at the wheel rim to ' just perceptible '. The front was easily done in situ, but the rear wheel had to come out of course and I could JUST feel a tiny amount of end float in the hollow spindle. I would not have believed the transformation - I can now enjoy this bike fully. :P

Incidentally I also tried raising the tyre pressures to 26 / 28, but very quickly had to pull in and let some out of the rear otherwise I'd have had no fillings !!

Thanks all, once again - Paul
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Glad you got it sorted. My rigid gives me a lovely ride, but i put it down to a nice original set of seat springs. Are your springs original or indian made curly bits of old iron. A spring will return to its original length after stretching or compression.Not like many on restored bikes seen on eBAY
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanengineer wrote:Glad you got it sorted. My rigid gives me a lovely ride, but i put it down to a nice original set of seat springs.
I can't stop laughing whenever I've followed Thrifty Peter (g80csp11) on his rigid as he goes on bouncing for ages after a bump like he's on a Pogo stick. With original springs the saddle could do with a damper.
Peters 46G80 at Talmag (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'