Heavyweight Single Clutch Options

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
George Kaplan

Heavyweight Single Clutch Options

Post by George Kaplan »

Hi, I have a G3 project on the go and whilst its not a competition model I have seen a mention elsewhere on the web regarding the use of a Honda clutch with a centre adapter on twinshock scrambles bikes using an AMC gearbox.

I am weighing up my clutch options at the moment as I dont have one and a Honda clutch seems (in my mind at least) like a good option as its probabally a lot better than the original Matchless clutch.

Does anyone on here have any experience with either a Honda or other non AMC clutch on one of these bikes and if so do you have any info on what clutch was used?

I am excluding Newby or NEB clutches from this question as I know I could just go and buy one of those off the shelf ready to fit to an AMC box.

thanks,

John
Andy51

Re: Heavyweight Single Clutch Options

Post by Andy51 »

Conway motors flood a Honda clutch fitting kit for the Comet with Burman CP 'box. Last time I looked the kit was not available as supply of the particular clutches had dried up. I saw a potentially suitable Honda clutch recently at Kempton autojumble but it looked smaller in diameter and deeper than Burman clutch, so may not fit under tin clutch cover. If you could find a suitable Honda/Japanese clutch, you would probably have to fit it to the chainwheel to get the correct gear ratio - probably not too difficult- I have put a good Burman clutch basket together with a good chainwheel (wrote it up in Jampot a few years ago) and it wasn't too difficult but you may need a lathe. Cheers, Andy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Why would you expect a Honda clutch to be any better than a well set up AMC one?
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Andy51 wrote:Conway motors flood a Honda clutch fitting kit for the Comet with Burman CP 'box. Last time I looked the kit was not available as supply of the particular clutches had dried up. I saw a potentially suitable Honda clutch recently at Kempton autojumble but it looked smaller in diameter and deeper than Burman clutch, so may not fit under tin clutch cover. If you could find a suitable Honda/Japanese clutch, you would probably have to fit it to the chainwheel to get the correct gear ratio - probably not too difficult- I have put a good Burman clutch basket together with a good chainwheel (wrote it up in Jampot a few years ago) and it wasn't too difficult but you may need a lathe. Cheers, Andy
Thanks Andy. I have heard of various other clutches being used on British bikes but was wondering what clutch people had used as I too have observed that most Japanese clutches tend to be a lot deeper than old British ones. Hence my question. Swapping the gear for a chainwheel is not a big issue as I do have a lathe.

ajscomboman wrote:Why would you expect a Honda clutch to be any better than a well set up AMC one?
I just assumed that a more modern design might be better? Maybe not?

However I need to buy a clutch as I don't have anything at the moment so I am not necessarily limiting my search to AMC clutches although if a decent AMC item turns up then I am not averse to using it.

John
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'd have thought that getting a good AMC one with a nylon lined cable and handlebar levers with the correct 7/8" centre pivot hole measurement would be a cheaper way to go. Set up correctly with a nice cable run the AMC clutch will do everything you need without the cost.
m knight.

Post by m knight. »

I have just tried contacting Conway regarding their Comet/ Honda clutch. My C.P clutch(1946 G80) is very badly worn and buying a new basket & plates is no cheeper than the conway clutch plus the Honda has more friction plates with a better designed basket/ clutch plate tang set up so the clutch should last longer and transmit more power with less wear. If it'll fit I think I will be buying one. The Conway clutch is built to fit Burman gear boxes I am not sure it will fit later AMC ones.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

m knight. wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:06 pm I have just tried contacting Conway regarding their Comet/ Honda clutch. ...........the Honda has more friction plates with a better designed basket/ clutch plate tang set up so the clutch should last longer and transmit more power with less wear. If it'll fit I think I will be buying one.
If you are determined to use the Conway clutch and if you haven't seen them you may find the comments in this thread from the Vincent Owners Club interesting, suggesting that Conway use s/h parts and that some fettling is needed to fit the unit.

https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/thr ... ate.15623/

and also the fitting instructions here:

https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/att ... pdf.43349/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'