1937 AJS 250 side stand

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
NORMAN NIPPY

1937 AJS 250 side stand

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Due to slight stroke, I am looking for advice on what type of stand that will fit. I was looking at a clamp on type for bottom rail. I e mailed Vintele but due to
high pipes it wont fit
Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: 1937 AJS 250 side stand

Post by Rob Harknett »

What have high pipes to do with fitting a side stand ? The universal clamp on side stands clamp on the low frame rail. In a position so it will be long enough and angle correct, to operate. It will even fit if you have low level pipes. The problem with the clamp on stands is, they will turn on the frame rail, no matter how much you try and tighten them. You may be able to fashion an ¬ bracket, bolted on a clamp bolt resting against perhaps the engine plate. This to stop the stand wanting to swing up. There was an AJS side stand available as an extra. Finding one impossible, WD matchless side stand was different, but also impossible to find. I have only ever seen both once in my life. Both were on the same auto jumble stall, in a village hall in Suffolk.
The AJS one was complete NOS, the WD one was just a bare, used leg. The complete AJS type had a replacement LH footrest. The replacement cast footrest had a lug on the footrest arm. Like later bikes have on the lower frame rail. The leg for the prewar side stand had, special fixing bolt which also acted as the leg axel, return spring plus a hex head screw with lock not. This screw goes in the leg acting as an adjuster, to adjust the stand leg angle. e.g. unscrewing will make the angle more acute. So take up any wear, and tolerance etc to footrest etc. I did buy the NOS stand I found, its on my 36/22 AJS. Should have also brought the WD one, the WD lads would have used it to make castings for sure.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have seen prop stands made along the lines of a car Trailer drop down leg. Come in Spridler ???? I am sure you made one
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

First thanks for your info. High pipes I was told to get a Vintele type, but was told it would not fit bike due to high pipes by supplier so I will get a clamp on type
Thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:I have seen prop stands made along the lines of a car Trailer drop down leg. Come in Spridler ???? I am sure you made one
Not me, Rob, but I did modify mine with a tang to hook it out with my toe when astride.
Hitchcocks can supply a 'Universal' side stand for 30 quid. They recommend using a grub screw on the clamp prevent it from turning.

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/16368

The club has Lightweight stands for £280

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21903
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:WD matchless side stand was different, but also impossible to find.
So where did they all go?
2000 WD bikes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not all WD bikes were fitted with a side stand. I think dessert bikes were, but were modified not to sink in sand by have an oval disc on the foot.
The side stand I thought you had was like a drop down leg. One chap who made such a stand also added to it, fittings so it would also carry his walking stick.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"The club has Lightweight stands for £280"

Come on Nev - those fingers are slipping. Or is this really the price?

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote:"The club has Lightweight stands for £280"

Johnny B
Nope that really is the price. Unlike the heavyweights there is no frame boss to attach the stand. On the lightweight you have to use a special frame saddle bracket and new longer mounting studs, not just a case of buying a stand alone.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:"The club has Lightweight stands for £280"

LW prop stand (640x249).jpg
But it's O.K. they don't have any ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.