LED lights

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

LED lights

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hello again. I've just ordered some positive earth LED headlight and tail lights for The Beast. The headlight is what I believe they call a double dipper. In some cases a resistor / diode is required to stop the headlight turning both elements on at the same time. Has anyone had experience of this and do you know which resistor / diode I should install and where?

Cheers, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
ajscomboman

Re: LED lights

Post by ajscomboman »

I haven't bothered with the resistor and haven't noticed anything detrimental happening to either the loom or the power consumption. Both diodes come on but the heat doesn't seem to have given any problems either. To be fair though I only do 18-20 miles each way in the dark to and from clubnight, approx 40 mins running time each way. What the difference would be if I was on high beam all the time I can't say never having done so.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Please let me know how you get on with this!

I've just ridden 15 miles in the dark on a B road and it reminded me of being a teenager again, but in a bad way! I had an A10 and it worried me then.

Tonight's ride scared the crap out of me! I've been spoiled, used to high wattage halogens in my car.

A 24w/30w 6 volt yellow headlight for modern traffic just isn't good enough, in my opinion.

What parts do I need, please :)

Thank you!
spookefoote1956

No problem mate. This is what I've bought.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-POSITIVE- ... 2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V-24V-P36D- ... 2749.l2649

I looked on another site first and noticed that fleabay did them cheaper. I haven't found a pilot bulb but to be honest I'm nore concerned with being able to see where I'm going. I went to the NW section before Christmas and the ride back was not fun. On the upside it cured my constipation!

Just bought the high beam fix kit from the place below, just in case. It looks like a diode as the body seems too big for a resistor. A resistor will work but a diode is better. Anyway, for science, I'll take it apart and let you know then you'll be able to get one for pennies instead of 33 bob.
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

Cheers, Chris

P.S. It must be a diode because the attached wires are different colours.
Last edited by spookefoote1956 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Thanks Chris that's great, really great.

I will look into these ASAP.

:) Andy
spookefoote1956

I can confirm it is a diode. It attaches to the wire going into the main beam and the direction is dependent upon whether the bike is wired positive or negative earth. I'm going to do the fitting tomorrow so I'll report on the success of the operation and also the need or not for the diode.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

spookefoote1956 wrote:I can confirm it is a diode. It attaches to the wire going into the main beam and the direction is dependent upon whether the bike is wired positive or negative earth. I'm going to do the fitting tomorrow so I'll report on the success of the operation and also the need or not for the diode.
Yes it would be as it's to prevent 2 way current, when I typed resistor in the first post it was a bit of brain fade on my behalf. I'll be interested in the feedback regarding with or without it in circuit.
spookefoote1956

You can actually attain the same effect with a resistor but a diode is the better option.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

spookefoote1956 wrote:You can actually attain the same effect with a resistor but a diode is the better option.
Very true, diode is a far more reliable option especially with LED's.
spookefoote1956

Too true. If it aint on it's off is certainly better than turning the tap down a bit.