Csr forks

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
SPRIDDLER

Re: Csr forks

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Our plan was to fit the entire forks including yokes, not just the stanchions.
My Technical Rehab Advisor chum Ray and I trawled several breakers...
Ray and Owner Warehouse Motorcycle breakers. Godstone (640x480).jpg
The whole RS250 fork assembly (at c£200) looked likely...
CIMG0006 (640x480).jpg
CIMG0011 (640x480).jpg
but I didn't want to spoil Marigold's looks with cuckoo forks :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

BTW - Probably not of interest to you but there are Royal Oilfield forks and wheel available from Hitchcocks
FORK2 (311x600).jpg
Disc brake conversion (640x487).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Wouldn't the offset front axle mounts on the Oilfield forks mess up the frame/fork geometry? Andy
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

I've thought about using an Enfield front end on a 1951 G80 I'm building. Originality obviously isn't my thing and I've thought of going this route as the front brake on my running G80 is absolutely crap despite new shoes and hours of fettling. Constant sudden bursts of adrenaline when you think you're not going to stop in time can't be good for the constitution.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone has done it before....
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Andy51 wrote:Wouldn't the offset front axle mounts on the Oilfield forks mess up the frame/fork geometry? Andy
It's quiet on here so indulge me if you will.......

After a no-fault biking event I was left with a permanently unusable right arm and locked right knee. 3 years after several ops and rehab I tried riding again and after much research (plus frequently falling off a very short-lived Honda Cub 90) I bought a new (but highly undesired) Honda CBF 125, the 'Grudge Special'. I needed a bike that was light weight, had an overseas dealer/repair network, and a light action hydraulic/disc front brake because I had the front brake (top short lever) and clutch (lower longer lever) controls both on the left of the 'bars.........
CIMG4770 (640x480).jpg
However, it had a ridiculously kicked up rear end which made getting aboard difficult. Yes, I know wellies aren't very cool but I couldn't do up zips on 'proper' riding boots and in any case every stitch of clothing and all my kit from helmet to boots had to be incinerated at the hospital :( I had been on my way to buy an Ajay from a pal 20 miles away and (according to the intensive care nurse) when I came round 3 days after the accident my first words were: "There's three grand in my overtrouser pocket", followed by "Is my arm still there?" Priorities, eh?
Hi-ho Silver! (640x480).jpg
I had Hagon make me up a pair of suspension units that were 2" shorter than the Honda ones to lower the rear which must have reduced the fork angle but I covered 5,500 miles on it including a couple of French trips and a ride to Spain and back with a million gear changes (8,500rpm at 60mph but no torque) with no noticeable difference when riding.
2 inches shorter..jpg