G2 Tank and Seat

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Bernie.Jones

G2 Tank and Seat

Post by Bernie.Jones »

I'm now looking at the seat pan that came with the bike - it's in a bit of a state but salvageable if it's the right type.

There was also a bracket that had been bodge-welded onto the rear mounting plate of the petrol tank that I've now removed.

Here's what I have. Do the seat pan and tank look like they are right for a '61 G2? If so I think I'll try to refurbish rather than replace and work out how they're secured.
20181210_145734.jpg
20181210_145758.jpg
20181210_145808.jpg
Thanks again!
Bernie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Re: G2 Tank and Seat

Post by Ozmadman »

Not sure whether it is correct but it is definitely different to my 1960 Model 8
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

You can buy a complete seat or just the pan from the club.
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'm with Ozmadman on the seat, it's not a seat that I recognise being for a L/W. As has been mentioned the club do either a pan or complete finished seat to the correct fitting but strengthened where required.
dodger

Post by dodger »

That seat is from the early G2's, that cowling at the front sits over the rear lug that secures the tank to the frame.
The tank is from the later G2,s and the two are not compatible.
The front seat lug is straight up and down on these early type seats, on the later seats it slopes forward.
So depending on the frame, one will be right and one will be wrong.
Laurie
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Many thanks all. I'll have to check the frame in more detail tomorrow to see which it is. First reg in '62 so I'd assumed the later type but....

I suspect the bracket that was tacked onto the back of the tank mounting plate was to locate it over a stud that is screwed into the top of the frame so that would suggest that a P.O. had tried to adapt the newer tank to an earlier frame. As the seat mountings were also bodged up I'll have to check again to see for sure.

I can plug the frame number into the dating web site tomorrow to check the date of manufacture and try to find out when they changed over so that should help determine which I have.

Cheers,
Bernie
garyg2mad

Post by garyg2mad »

Bernie does your frame have a large boss with a hole passing through the frame on the top tube for the petrol tank mount ' Or does it have a threaded boss on top of the top tube ' to mount the tank " if it has a threaded boss it's an early 58/59 frame so you would need the smaller early petrol tank' and the seat you have ' your tank is the 1960 on t bolt fitting type this uses a different later shorter seat ' Bases available from the club ' If you use the early tank and the later seat you will end up with a two inch gap between the tank and seat '
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Here's what I have - it has the large hole but also a stud and nut which looks as if they could have been added by a P.O. to fit the tag welded on to the back of the tank instead of the correct mountings. Frame number is 13001 which matches the logbook and 1st registration in '62 although I haven't verified with the dating web site.
20181210_215207.jpg
20181210_215304.jpg
Cheers,
Bernie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Bernie.Jones wrote:Here's what I have - it has the large hole but also a stud and nut which looks as if they could have been added by a P.O. to fit the tag welded on to the back of the tank instead of the correct mountings. Frame number is 13001 which matches the logbook and 1st registration in '62 although I haven't verified with the dating web site.

Cheers,
Bernie
That hole in the top tube is there to take the bolt for the later tank which, from your picture, looks like what you have, there will be a few things you will need to find ....the bolt, a sleeve over the bolt, 2 rubber washers that fit over the sleeve a large outside diameter washer and some kind of offset/rectangular washer that will fit in the slot in that tank bracket that will turn when you tighten the bolt thereby pulling the back of the tank down and locking it in place (the original bolt had a T bar at the top for this purpose). The other horizontal hole, apart from attaching the seat stays, is for the seat stud which will allow the correct seat base (which has two brackets, one either side) to slot over it which is then secured by a nut on either end of the stud. these two pics may help
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed