G2 shock absorbers

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Bernie.Jones

G2 shock absorbers

Post by Bernie.Jones »

I'm still dismantling my new G2 for rebuild and finding quite a few questionable parts that I'm not sure if right.

The shock absorbers measure 15" between the C/Ls of the 3/8" bushings. They're rather seized but I'm assuming both at maximum extension.
This seems a lot more than the lengths quoted for standard replacements.

It's a 1961 G2 so not a CSR although it's had aftermarket alloy mudguards fitted so wondering if these are also non-standard, over-length shocks?

Thanks,
Bernie
garyg2mad

Re: G2 shock absorbers

Post by garyg2mad »

Hi Bernie ' The long Girlings fitted to the lightweights were specially produced for the model by Girling ' They are much longer in length than used on other machines ' There were 3 lengths 14.9 inches C to C for the 250cc machines with 17 inch wheels ' 15.3 C to C inches for the M8/G5 350 cc Models with 18 inch wheels with a Longer body length again and internal dimensions and spring ' These two types of shocks will fit the std frame and swing arm, The third and longest type is the 14/G2 250 CS one 15.8 inch C to C for the 19inch wheels with Longer body again Stroke and internals and spring ' These require the 3/8ths longer special swinging arm ' And Longer rear subframe ' and shorter rear footrest support undertray , If you use 350 shocks on a 250 you may encounter clearance issues with the tyre up against the rear footrest under support tray with the wheel forward on chain adjustment and the bike on the centre stand ' There still to my knowledge is no one producing new units ' So it's hard to find a good serviceable pair
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Many thanks Gary - that's good news that it sounds like they're the correct type. I guess my options are to try to refurbish, source similar or go for a generic pair of the same size and rating. I see that the workshop manual says that they're sealed units - wonder if it's possible to strip refurb and rebuild?

Cheers,
Bernie
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

garyg2mad wrote: ' There still to my knowledge is no one producing new units '
I believe that I saw NJB advertising a pair to fit lightweights at a recent Kempton Auto Jumble, they were not replicas as far as I can recall but had an open spring, I have looked on their web site but can not see them advertised, it mat be worth a call if you are totally stuck without any, worst case is that I remembered wrong.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi I think I remember reading an article on this website about refurbishment of lightweight shocks but you need cutting and welding skills. Might be worth a search around on the forum first as I'm sure this subject has been covered before . Can't remember where I saw it though so can't help with links.
Regards Chris
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Here are some relevant threads:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 62#p173938
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9431
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 55#p186755

There are some aftermarket units that look good on a CS, alternatively you might find you can just clean up your existing units.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Many thanks all, looks like there are quite a few options including some new ones for not too much!
Have emailed Norman at NJB to see if he can help.

Regards,
Bernie
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

clanger9 wrote: alternatively you might find you can just clean up your existing units.
that's what I did as they rarely seem to leak, just got some generic chrome sleeves and new bushes and re-painted them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Thanks - that looks like it could be a cheaper option if I can get them apart. Looks like the shrouds are available on eBay in a variety of sizes.

Cheers,
Bernie
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Bernie.Jones wrote:Thanks - that looks like it could be a cheaper option if I can get them apart. Looks like the shrouds are available on eBay in a variety of sizes.
Cheers,
Bernie
you will need to push down hard on the top shroud to release the two halves of the retaining ring that sits in the top, that's all and not too difficult really
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed