G2 brake pedal parts

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Bernie.Jones

G2 brake pedal parts

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Now that I know I'm missing two pillion footrest supports I'm trying to work out if I have the correct brake pedal and spindle and what's needed to complete the assembly.

This is all I have....
20181128_130021.jpg
I've looked at the thread here http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ly#p132750 but this is for a G5 so not sure if it should be the same for the G2.

One puzzle is that the square spindle is 15mm across corners and the ID of the bush in the brake pedal is about the same so I can't see how these can both be right as there's no room left for a bush with a square ID and round OD. Maybe the spindle is wrong?

Many thanks,
Bernie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janet

Re: G2 brake pedal parts

Post by Janet »

Have you been told about Christian's Archives? There you will find a lot of useful information including parts lists. Here's one for G2 and G5. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf Look in there and you'll see whether one item fits all models. Note, the later 250 CSR madels have some variations, and there are supplementary lists to cover those.
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Thanks for the link Janet. That does suggest that the parts are common to G2 and G5.

I'm wondering then if the square spindle I have is wrong - maybe a duplicate of the footrest spindle and I actually need the assembly shown here: http://www.jampot.com/forum/download/file.php?id=2349

However it looks like the diameter of the fulcrum is quite a bit larger than the 15mm bush on my pedal so still a bit of a puzzle....

Regards,
Bernie
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

When i was building my G2 i had all the same questions. I did intend to do a photo of the layout, in order, of all the parts on the brake and footpeg shafts. Didnt get done. It would be so useful to others if someone could do it in their rebuild. Their is a fantastic sectioned rear hub photo for heavyweights done and i think this would be of similar help to many. Just a thought.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi please be aware that the G5 and G2 (350 and 250) are different. I cant help with the G2 because i have a G5.

good luck
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Interestingly, the book that Janet linked to seems to show the parts as common to the two models - assuming that 'rod, rear brake pedal' is the spindle, as distinct from 'rod, rear brake operating' - but no pictures.
Screenshot 2018-11-28 at 19.40.44.png
Regards,
Bernie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garyg2mad

Post by garyg2mad »

Bernie you have the correct spindle and pedal for your G2 ' Check the bush is in the pedal it should be free ' But could be rusted in ' this bush sits over the square bar and is clamped up against the spring and spring tab pedal stop washer behind the pedal setting the return spring tension ' The Other spindle with the round section and all the various flats etc milled into it is a G5/M8 and Late CS scramble type ' You would need to have a different later rear under tray bracket with a large hole in one side and a hole with two flats on the other , Yours will have two squares
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Thanks Gary - it's starting to make sense now - the bearing surface is between the pedal and outside of the bush - not the square spindle and inside as I'd assumed (which seemed totally wrong!). I'll free the bush from the pedal and then, once I've sourced the missing parts it should all clamp up nicely.

Cheers,
Bernie