M16 High lift Cam

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Sykes

M16 High lift Cam

Post by Sykes »

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a high lift cam for a 1947 M16. I realise that i need to machine the cases to allow the tappet to drop down a little further with the HL cam.

Are there any suppliers that are making these cams new?

Cheers!
SPRIDDLER

Re: M16 High lift Cam

Post by SPRIDDLER »

See the article re cams in the link below. The author Ken de Groome may be able to supply you.
He advertises in the Jampot.

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... e_Dots.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Sykes

Post by Sykes »

SPRIDDLER wrote:See the article re cams in the link below. The author Ken de Groome may be able to supply you.
He advertises in the Jampot.

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... e_Dots.pdf

Thanks a lot!
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I have fitted scrambles cams in my '54 18S, bought new from Jampot spares back in 2006 - I seem to remember they had 5 pairs for sale, the rest must have long gone. No machining of the cases was necessary, but '47 cases will presumably be different. Performance is improved, but you lose a bit of tractability - it is not happy much under 40 in top gear, but as I do not ride much in town this isn't a problem - but it isn't an inflexible beast as per a Goldie (as I have heard!). What you do get is a LOT more noise, so wear earplugs and don't rev up near neighbours! Cheers, Andy
Sykes

Post by Sykes »

Andy51 wrote:I have fitted scrambles cams in my '54 18S, bought new from Jampot spares back in 2006 - I seem to remember they had 5 pairs for sale, the rest must have long gone. No machining of the cases was necessary, but '47 cases will presumably be different. Performance is improved, but you lose a bit of tractability - it is not happy much under 40 in top gear, but as I do not ride much in town this isn't a problem - but it isn't an inflexible beast as per a Goldie (as I have heard!). What you do get is a LOT more noise, so wear earplugs and don't rev up near neighbours! Cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy!