AJS Stormer - Fifty years old

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Cjay59_LAPSED

AJS Stormer - Fifty years old

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

AJS Stormer, is fifty years old this year, so here is "Everything you wanted to know about the AJS Stormer, but were afraid to ask....'

I hope you enjoy the read....

https://ajsstormer.wordpress.com
AJS Stormer Fifty Years..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Re: AJS Stormer - Fifty years old

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks. Wonderfully nostalgic read.
I scrambled a Greeves Hawkstone in the 60's. Well, I used to turn up on the starting line. The chat was all about the Starmaker engine, zorst designs, padded crankcases, central spark plugs, Castrol R, until I discovered that more excitement and success could be had with gurls (before I got married................ :( )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

A really interesting site. Thanks for highlighting it.

Post by 1608 »

Nev, nought out of ten for spelling, you eejit :D
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Sorry about the smelling pistake, John ;)
Expat

Post by Expat »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Spriddler, you're very welcome, some of the pictures I've seen of Hawkstone Park are amazing, the crowds are huge, Freddie Mayes verified some of the information, his move as the Greeves British Champion to ride the new AJS Scrambler must of been interesting times, this photo of him with Peter Inchley sums up the excitement of their new Villiers Metisse, with the Starmaker engine.

I also find the change from black and white advertising into the colour of the sixties and American psychodelic's, soldiers returning from Vietnam, buying a dirt bike and heading out across the desert, fascinating. Then AJS and Matchless shipping out bikes just for that market, not selling them at home and Bud Ekins building stuff like this Matchless which was up for sale last month.

It's great stuff, and as you say, so are gurls....
Web 127.jpg
Freddie Mayes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

The second Photo is Freddie today.

Bud Ekins Matchless
1956 MATCHLESS 497CC G80CS BUD EKINS.jpeg
Rob Wicks Greeves
Starmaker Greeves.jpg
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Seem to remember that the original Villiers 'Starmaker' had twin carburettors that had a weird operating mode that opened one carb only until that was about 2/3 open then the second carb opened fully during the last third of the first carbs opening... does that make sense?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Pharisee wrote:Seem to remember that the original Villiers 'Starmaker' had twin carburettors that had a weird operating mode that opened one carb only until that was about 2/3 open then the second carb opened fully during the last third of the first carbs opening... does that make sense?
They certainly did have twin Monoblocs. With the twin and single carbs if you fell off on the course and stalled the engine it would 8-stroke when restarting it. The only way to get the revs to pick up was to lay the bike over on its left side so that the petrol ran to the left side of the float chamber away from the jets thus weakening the mixture. It was pretty scary laying it over in a cloud of dust with others' handlebars whizzing past your left ear.

Great pics Cjay59.